Thursday, April 7, 2011

We can be ready for the unexpected but only with Him by our side!

You just never know, do you? It's like that old saying: "If the right one doesn't get you the left one will." I saw a headline on the Twitter news feed recently that said: "Drug-resistant salmonella possibly in turkey burgers". What a bummer! Some 55,000 pounds of meat was involved. Think about it. You begin to consider eating healthier. Here's an idea, we'll have turkey burgers tonight. Then what? Next thing you know you are in the hospital and they are telling you that the current antibiotics including the newest ones are no match for this invader that has taken over your system. I'm not trying to get off on a pessimistic footing today but there is something to be said for having the attitude of being very aware that in this life, in this world that we live in, we just never know what might happen next. It is Thursday, April 7, 2011, and no, I am not auditioning for a spot in the next live production of Chicken Little. The reality of how things can change quickly was often front and center back in the days when I had over 150 people reporting to me. You receive a phone call. Next thing you know someone you expected to be meeting with is not only not showing up for the meeting, but they will not be showing up period, ever again. I can testify to that to a certain extent first hand since one day I too was in route to the downtown corporate office when we were involved in a head on collision. I was injured some but blessed to have survived. No cell phones back then. They didn't know where I was at the office. That was something that had not happened before because I was always there ahead of everyone else.What did they do? They called my wife at home and all she could report was that I had left on time. Panic time! By God's grace I was actually calmly sitting on an examination table at a hospital with a Catholic Nun using tweezers extracting  as much of the glass from my forehead as she could. We never know. That means we had better be prepared for what we don't anticipate and we do that by having a relationship with God through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. When you have that relationship, no matter what happens, up to and including saying goodbye to this old world, you have the assurance of being always and forever in the presence of God. Amen.


I think I heard someone asking about our great granddaughter. Maybe it was the wind I heard. But, whatever, I'm more than happy to report that I did have an opportunity to visit with her briefly on Tuesday evening. Our eldest son and his family had a little birthday supper for our Tiffany at the barbecue joint and it turned out to be a most enjoyable time. We were able to express our love and appreciation to our Tiffany and visit with family, and, I did my best to reintroduce myself to our little bundle of Madelyn Joy. I know she is no longer that little and she isn't bundled too often any more, but, I like the sound of it and I will probably use it until she's driving or something. Just joking. We do not get to see them nearly enough, therefore, it's always me trying to get Madi to allow her Great Grand Poppy some time with her. One of the things she is learning is that her Great Grand Poppy is relentlessly persistent. I finally held her for a little while just before we left. We did have a wonderful time of family and fellowship. It had been a long day and then a one hour commute across the bumper car ride celebration they have each day in a program called: Metroplex Gone Wild, but all so very much worth it. We know we are very blessed and do not take for granted that we have our children, their children, and our great grand child fairly close. And, we always thank God when we are able to be together. Enjoy our Joy, that is, the photo of our Madelyn Joy.


Madelyn is an exact replica of her mom and I can well remember how our Tiffany would cling mostly to certain people. The big difference is that way back then, I, the Poppy, was the certain people! But, as with many things in life, it is a work in progress. In fact, that's not a bad way to look at life itself. A work in progress. I think one of the big mistakes we make in life is when we think we have arrived, we have done all we are going to do, and we no longer see ourselves as moving, growing, and developing. Sure, there will be that day when we do finish our race, our course as the Apostle Paul called it and then it will be time to meet our Lord. But until then we have the life we have and as long as God gives us breath and the strength to get up and go, we have things we can do, and there are changes we can make that will help us to become more of what He would have us to be. I am well aware that many are stopped in their tracks due to health reasons. I think every day about my brother and how that little things that I remember to do would not even be possible for him to consider due to his brain injury. But many of us do not have an excuse because we are able, maybe not like we once were, but we are able to do what we can do with the time we have. Not yesterday because it's not coming back, but if we are going to get something productive done that honors God and serves others, then it also can't always be tomorrow, we have to get hold of it - - - TODAY! Thanks, I needed that and maybe someone else did as well. May God bless.   Amen.             ......More later.

No comments: