Friday, April 1, 2011

"Hey Maw and Paw, hurry and come look, the Eagle has landed!"

It is Friday and I do have many more of those distorted images of myself, so don't mess with me or I will use them. I used to hear the late Dr. Adrian Rogers, one of the greatest preachers of our time, tell how that when his folks thought he would get bogged down in a sermon or study, he would threaten them with a verse by verse study of Leviticus. That's an inside joke but for those who don't know, the Book of Leviticus goes into minute and painstaking detail regarding all the ceremonies, sacrifices, and other matters pertaining to the laws and ordinances given to Israel. But I digress. In fact, let me be the first to say that I digress quite often and some days it just seems like that's about all I do. I'll make it easy for you: To digress is to lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking. No. I will not rename my blog, "A Whole Lot of Digressing Going On." But, welcome anyway to Friday, April 1, 2011 which is the official day when pranks are played to honor Fool's Day. I suppose we should be glad that we are big enough to set aside such a day. Or, .....whatever. Today's blog title refers to the photo taken of a nesting American Bald Eagle from over near the Toledo Bend Reservoir on the Texas, Louisiana border. That area is very close to where my wife and I grew up. I suppose I am surprised that this eagle has survived, being all endangered and such, because some of the fellows I know in that part of the world tend to take the hunting of exotic species very seriously, and now that this photo has been placed in the local papers, well, don't be surprised if you hear someone asking for a recipe for eagle stew. Don't turn me in to the animal rights people because it's only a joke, or it's mostly a joke. You can laugh. It's okay. It's Friday.

If you get the idea that I enjoy writing some of these little stories, well, you are so right. Speaking of those fellows I know from over there where I grew up, with no disrespect whatsoever, writing about them reminded me of those one liner redneck jokes told by Jeff Foxworthy. I actually read some of his latest material on the ABC News website in their entertainment section. He actually writes at least 365 new ones a year since they do a calendar for each year with one joke for each day. "You might be a redneck if you have ever been pulled over for a speeding ticket with a mattress propped on top of your car." Jeff swears he saw that actually happen and he had to write it down. "You might be a redneck if nothing under your Christmas tree is paid for." "If you think 'recipe for disaster' has something to do with your wife's chili, you might be a redneck." "If you have a complete matching set of bowls and they all say Cool Whip on the side, you might be a redneck." Jeff says he has never looked down on his humble raising and he well remembers how that he was made fun of at times because of the clothes he wore and how he talked. However, today he has become enormously successful by mostly poking good-natured fun at that class of folks who have helped make our country great. I think I know some of the folks depicted in his jokes, and, to tell the truth, I am probably in some of them myself. That's what makes them funny. Get it? Good. Now go ahead and smile. It's okay. It's Friday.

I feel like I've met my quota this past week for adding very little to the massive amount of mostly meaningless stuff floating around out there on the world wide web, at the speed of light. I did notice this week that some in the Obama administration want to give him credit for the uprisings in the Middle East. They contend it may have been his speech in Cairo soon after taking office, and all of that. However, others are concerned. What happens if the bad guys end up in charge in Egypt? What happens if the no fly zone in Libya becomes a long term fly in our ointment? How about maybe we should wait and see before we take credit for outcomes we can't be sure of? That sounds like a fairly good strategy in keeping with how folks in the political world operate. I thought the speech the President gave on why we went to Libya was a good one. It didn't make a lot of sense to me in terms of context given all the other areas of the world where people are suffering at the hands of oppressive rulers. But it was a good set of words and he spoke them fairly well. It almost sounded like former President George W. when he was explaining why we went into Iraq. But I digress again and I'll quit before we all get depressed. Back to our story, already in progress: It is Friday and I hope I've given you something to smile about today. You know many years ago on a Friday there was a dejected group of followers of Jesus the Christ who were frightened after his crucifixion, so much so, they were in hiding. However, they couldn't quite comprehend yet that Sunday was on its way, and that He would be coming forth from that grave, just like He had told them. He did just that and they rejoiced. We gather on Lord's Day Sunday to celebrate that same Savior who died and rose again that we might have peace with God. Amen. That peace will give you something to smile about. Go ahead. It's okay. It's Friday.                                   .......More later.

No comments: