Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kum-by-ya my Lord, kum-by-ya.

Just for the record, yesterday as I sat at my little desk here at the Company headquarters, we observed a 39 degree reading according to the Weather Channel. I wasn't sure we would break that 40 marker but we did and it was very enjoyable, like a good friend who stopped by for a brief visit but you just had to know they would soon be leaving, perhaps not to be seen again for quite a long time. But enough of me obsessing over the temperatures, which is a regular feature here on this station, but welcome again to the meandering mutterings of my world here on Wednesday, April 6, 2011. I do often change the stuff I write before it goes out. I've learned that if something bothers me in how someone might take it or how it could be misunderstood, and it keeps coming up in my mind, I just go ahead and erase that part and move on. I started to give you an example from the other day but then that would pretty much defeat the reason I had deleted that particular section. I know we can all differ in our opinions about things and I don't apologize for that because that is a part of the freedom we enjoy here in this blessed land of the free, and home of the brave. But it's also okay to be sensitive to the feelings of others. If I joke about things pertaining to myself and my wife I want to make sure no one gets the idea that I have anything but the highest regard, respect, and love for her. I know I walk a very thin line on that one but there are times when I choose to forgo a laugh because someone might misunderstand. I mention this because we are living at a time when folks become unhinged in a hurry. Road rage happens on the road but rage in general happens pretty much everywhere. Little things. And, it doesn't take much to set folks off. Perhaps it's the tough times we are in but being aware of it and seeking to maintain a wholesome mindset and a spirit of love and respect will help us all to get on down the road of life.

That little Kum Ba Ya moment was brought to you by our local sponsor which, of course, would be, yours truly. The origin of that title from the African American spiritual is disputed but many tag it back to the 1920's where it may have originated in the language spoken by some descendants of slaves who spoke a dialect called pidgin creole. The words actually mean Come By Here and it is calling upon the Lord to come by here. That song had a huge revival back in the folk crazed days of the late 1950's but it has also been widely used in Church youth groups, boy and girl scouting, and many other venues. Like almost everything else, it was also co-opted by a number of political groups who used it to promote their particular issue. But, it is not a bad thought if you get away from the tune and think about the meaning behind it. My translation: "Come by here Lord, Come by here.  Someone's laughing Lord, Come by here. Someone's crying Lord, Come by here. Someone's praying Lord, Come by here. Someone's singing Lord, Come by here. Come by here Lord, Come by here."  You don't have to send me a note but I would almost guess there are some who have sung this little ditty many many times and never really had a clue about what was being said. It is saying to one and all that no matter what your situation, when you are happy, sad, singing, or crying, we all need the Lord to come by and be with us. And, the good news is how that He has promised to do that very thing. "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:37-39) "Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

Maybe someone needed that today. Maybe that someone was you, or maybe it was me. Truth told, whether we recognize it or not, every single one of us needs the Lord to be close and real to us. When I started out the writing of today's episode I wasn't sure I had anything to write about. Don't laugh. It's the truth. Then lo and behold I look up and I am in the third paragraph and a little surprised. It's okay. I like being surprised because I know that God can use some of what I've written today. Because I'm such a good wordsmith? Not hardly. Because when you use His truth and you encourage people with what He has said, God the Holy Spirit can take that and minister to the needs of people, no matter where they are and what they are going through. I am thrilled that it works that way and it's the reason I try always to include some of God's preserved truth in my daily writing, that way, there will always be some potential for good. I love the way Isaiah described how that God's Word works: "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11-12) Therefore, we should always be thankful that God cares enough to minister to our needs, caring, compassion, and yes, conviction when we need it. I don't know about you but I feel encouraged just from having worked through putting this together, if you can call it that. Have a blessed day and don't forget to remember to listen when God is calling you. Amen.           ......More later.

No comments: