Monday, April 18, 2011

A very significant week indeed!

Welcome to a new work week and I bid you greetings on this Monday, April 18, 2011. Here we are again and we have this very significant week before us. The Jewish people will celebrate Passover tomorrow and for us who are believers in Jesus Christ, this is the commemoration of the events that led to His death, His burial, and His victory through His resurrection! Next Sunday will complete our worship and remembrance during this special time that happened so long ago but continues to impact men, women, boys, and girls with a life changing power that will continue throughout time and eternity. Because He lives we can face life and know that we will one day live in His presence forever. Meanwhile, here on the planet, we have the day by day grind that is certainly difficult for so many during these tough times. While folks seek to deal with the high gasoline prices and in trying to take care of their families, we have others who engage themselves in absurd distractions. It was reported last week that a United Nations Committee is near a recommendation that will grant trees and bugs the same rights as people. The recommendation will be modeled after a mother earth law that exists in Bolivia. Talk about an upside down world we are living in! But, we should not be surprised. The Apostle Paul recounted in detail about what happens when people turn from the recognition and worship of the true God to the elevation and worship of creation itself. Read all about it as found in the Epistle to the Romans, Chapter 1.

If you have ever tried to read some of the coded messages used in the social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, well, for most of us past the age of forty, the majority of it is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics. But not to worry. I read some that have been developed for people like many of us. That would be pretty neat for us who don't seem to fit into this post modern super high tech world. I copied these from a lady who shared them with her circle of friends. Older Age Texting Codes: ATD -at the doctors. BFF -best friend fell. BTW -bring the wheelchair. BYOT -bring your own teeth. FWIW -forgot where I was. GGPBL -gotta go, pacemaker battery low. GHA -got heartburn again. IMHO -is my hearing aid on. LMDO -laughing my dentures out. OMMR -on my massage recliner. OMSG -oh my! sorry, gas. ROFLACGU -rolling on floor laughing and can't get up. TTYL -talk to you louder. I am trying to remember if I have ever used any of the codes that are out there today. I see my wife using a few of them like lol, laughing out loud, when she is texting on her cell phone. So far I have resisted adding the texting to my cell phone but I can actually see that feature in my future. I am not what you call an early adopter but typically will get there, even if it is after a whole lot of kicking and screaming.

While I was thinking about this holiest of weeks the interview between Pontus Pilate and our Savior came to mind. Here you have the Roman provincial leader in a one on one conversation with the Living Lord of the universe. Here's an excerpt from the Gospel of John Chapter 18, as found in God's Word Translation: "33 Pilate went back into the palace, called for Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” 34 Jesus replied, “Did you think of that yourself, or did others tell you about me?” 35 Pilate answered, “Am I a Jew? Your own people and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?”  36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom doesn’t belong to this world. If my kingdom belonged to this world, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. My kingdom doesn’t have its origin on earth.” 37Pilate asked him, “So you are a king?”   Jesus replied, “You’re correct in saying that I’m a king. I have been born and have come into the world for this reason: to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to me.” 38 Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” After Pilate said this, he went out to the Jews again and told them, “I don’t find this man guilty of anything. 39You have a custom that I should free one person for you at Passover. Would you like me to free the king of the Jews for you?” 40 The Jews shouted again, “Don’t free this man! Free Barabbas!” (Barabbas was a robber and insurrectionist.) I've always found this dialogue to be striking. Pilate asked a good question. What is truth? That's one for us all to think about this week as we celebrate the One who spoke of Himself as "the way, the truth, and the life". Amen.        ......More later.

No comments: