Wednesday, April 20, 2011

No. That was someone else. It was not me on that episode of Cops!

It's Wednesday and we are still here, doing my little bit to weeble wobble my way through life on this April 20, 2011. We do worry about the strangest things, don't we? Oh? That's not something you do? Well, you are not a part of the club where I have a gold card with many stars. I mailed my little check along with my tax return over a week ago and typically it doesn't take them long to get that check processed. My grandfather may have added how they usually get it done faster than a scalded dog on the run, but that's no longer politically correct so I won't use it. But, it is true that they do usually get it processed quickly. Surprisingly quick. It didn't show up right away and I began to wonder if it may have gotten stuck in that mailbox or maybe I addressed the envelope incorrectly. We did have that check stolen out of our mailbox once. I began checking online to see if there was a way to verify if my return had been processed, and actually you can check on a refund but I could not find anywhere to check on a payment. Who in their right mind would have ever wanted to be agitated about whether your tax return along with your check had been handled? See what I mean? But yesterday there it was, displayed on the screen on my electronic bank statement, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing to hide but the last thing I need at the moment is to have the IRS messing with my schedule. I've never been through an audit but I've known plenty of folks who have and most of them came out okay but they were worn down by the process. To be honest, I could do without a good wearing out at this time. How about you?

Marilyn and I were able to visit with my brother Donald this past Sunday. He was in a very good mood, laughing and joking with us. I had them put the NASCAR race on and we sat and enjoyed it together. He was very animated and engaged, although he wasn't necessarily connecting mentally, we had a great time with him. Towards the end of the race I began to pay attention to my driver, (number 24, Jeff Gordon), and he was making his move towards the front. I announced that I would not be getting up from my chair and acting my normal out of control self when a race is close. However, the closer to the end it was, the closer my driver was getting to the lead. With about three laps to go I had to go back on my promise and I jumped up and moved closer to the set to root on my driver. (You don't have to write and tell me that my driver cannot hear me because that's been pointed out to me many times before.) I was cheering and straining to help him win the race but it turned out that three cars crossed the stripe all about the same time, and my driver ended up third. As it happened, Donald and his companion and caretaker Dotty got a big kick out of me doing my thing at the end of the race. I never like to end up being the entertainment but it was a great time of laughing all around. We thank God for giving us and him a good Sunday visit. How close was that race? The winner was only one - two thousandths of a second, (1/2000) ahead of the second place car. Take one second and divide it by 2,000 and then count just one tick off the 2000. That's what you call close!

Donald is helpless. His brain injury has rendered him unable to function on his own. We are blessed because he has someone who takes care of him. It requires a huge commitment and a faithfulness that stands out. Folks, this reminds me just how helpless we are before a Holy and Righteous God. We are born into sin and we have no hope on our own in being able to be in the sinless presence of our Creator. Yet, He knew about our helplessness, our lost condition, and the judgment that His Holy Being required. In response, He had compassion, mercy, and in love He sent His one and only Son to die that you and I as well as every man, woman, boy, and girl can be made right and live forever in the presence of our Great God. I've been listening this week to some of the online dramatized audio renditions of the Scriptures in depicting this Holy Week where this very transaction was completed on a Cross. Of course it didn't end on that Cross because early on the first day of the week, (that would be Sunday and that's why we meet on that day), those women came to the tomb where Jesus had been laid and they were told by the angel, "He is not here, for He is risen just as He said." (See Matthew 28:6) I suppose the greatest tragedy is the countless millions who fail to recognize their hopeless condition when God has made this provision for them. I pray that will change and it can for any and all who look to the Savior and His finished work on The Cross as their way of salvation. Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: