Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Treasures found in a life well lived!

Good Tuesday morning and welcome to another day, on this February 22, 2011. I have never denied that I am a little eccentric, or maybe weird, or missing a little here and there, but I cannot tell a lie, because I have for many years been fascinated in reading obituaries and eulogies. They come in all shapes, sizes, and formats. Some are extremely brief while others go on and on. They reflect the last commentary on a person's life. I do know, and we all should take note, that by the time our obituary is written, it's actually too late to get done the things that will leave behind a lasting impression for good. That's not only a matter of fact, it also reflects a biblical principle about using the time we have to make a difference. Maybe I really am like what my grandfather used to say about a crayfish, who always travels backwards because he doesn't really care that much about where he's going, but rather, is more focused on where he has been. I have read some really wonderful tributes to people over the years. I've read some that immediately grab your heart and there's no way you can hold back the tears. Some illustrate the accomplishments in academics, business, military, social, and political arenas. Others speak of family, friends, devotion, caring, and efforts put forth to help their fellow citizens at home and abroad. I read one this past weekend that really got my attention. I don't know this lady. I don't know her family. But I do know her through the wonderful women God has placed in my life. It was published by a funeral home in the area where I grew up.

"Our precious momma, grandma, and best friend, made a change in her address on February 17, 2011 at 7:52 am. Her new address is: In heaven with her Lord. Her message: Get your soul ready and come meet me here! Momma grew up in the Cole Central Community. At the age of 13, she met the man of her dreams and became the bride of that man. She never worked outside of her home. Daily she served her Lord and her family there. She was always on her knees praying for them. As we were growing up, Momma always had a hot breakfast on the table by 5:30 every morning. She packed Daddy's lunch each day in a syrup can with lots of good country food and a lot of love. She loved to cook and boy did she do it well! Her homemade coconut cake is known all over many parishes and states. She tried to make sure that her children and grandchildren always had one delivered to them on their birthdays. Momma loved many things in life. She loved a clean home. Momma's home was kept spotless with much pride. She was often overheard joyfully singing while she cleaned. She loved working in her yard. Her yard was a replica of Hodges Garden. At the hospital, while she was sick, the code to get in to see her was "flowers". When we told her this, she liked it and gave us a big smile. She loved red birds and anyone who entered her home was able to see this. Her family and friends made sure she had plenty given to her over the years. She loved working at the election polls where she was able to visit with all her friends and catch up on the latest news. She loved her family and never tired of time spent with us. What Momma loved the most was her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She showed her love to him and of him, by spending her life humbly serving Him. Her joy didn't come from material possessions, but from her relationship with Christ. She loved going to church to worship Him. Her life was an incredible example of the Lord to all who came in contact with her. One of her favorite sayings was: 'Happiness keeps you sweet. Trials keep you strong. Sorrows keep you human. Failures keep you humble. Success keeps you glowing. But only God keeps you going.' At the end of her life here on earth, Momma was very sick. Even in her sickness, she was praising Jesus. Until she took her last breath, she was pointing her finger towards heaven and wanting all that were surrounding her hospital bed to sing. She would direct the song with her little finger which made everyone in her room want to shout for glory! Ever since her daughter was little, their secret signal for "I Love You" was a twinkling of the nose to each other. Here in the last few days this secret was shared with the boys. All the family visiting Momma at the hospital enjoyed this same twinkling of the nose. She was able to communicate how much she loved everyone right up to the very end."

Some might scoff at this simple woman's legacy of love, for God, for her husband, family, and others. She certainly does not reflect the so called modern successful lady in terms that the world would applaud. However, this lady is very familiar to me. She reminds me of my mom, my grandmother, my mother-in-law, my wife, and many of my aunts, my sisters, and ladies in my Church growing up, and others I've been privileged to know in my lifetime. I get the idea from this lady's tribute that she probably knew how her family felt about her long before she said her final farewell. And, that's actually the point of today's blog. We have so many who have helped to make us who we are today. Many have sacrificed on our behalf. How tragic if we do not demonstrate our love and appreciation for them while they are still with us. I count it one of the blessings of my life to have been able to do my best to show my love and gratitude to many I am thinking about even as I write this episode. That wonderful tribute written about a wonderful and Godly woman is inspiring for us to read. But, how much more it meant to her to hear it from her family before her last goodbye. So I encourage us all to stop, think, and consider those that God put into our lives that contributed so much. And, what a blessing to be able to rise up and to proclaim the testimony of such a faithful lady! Solomon recorded just such a testimony in his collection called Proverbs, Chapter 31. Have a great day and may we all be engaged in our calling where we brighten the corner where God has placed us. Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: