Monday, February 14, 2011

Thank God for that singing school out at Oak Grove Church!

Hello one and all and welcome to our Monday, February 14, 2011. Happy Valentine's Day. It is a day set aside to recognize that special person in your life. We've been at it a long time now. Since the summer of 1962. There I was, minding my own business, talked into attending a Church singing school to look over what I had been told was some very good looking girls. I didn't have high hopes but I did tag along. That was a fateful evening. I did spy out one girl in particular. I don't know how it feels to be tasered with one of those police stun guns, but I have an idea that's somewhat the same experience that happened to me that night. We followed a truck load of girls down a blacktop road. They finally pulled over and I came face to face with a young lady and now nearly 49 years later I can almost feel the same feeling all over again. I suppose I could call it love at first zap. Get it? After a couple of years of dating, breaking up, dating some more, and in dealing with what it means to date the preacher's daughter, we were married in December of 1964. The rest as they say is history but on this day when folks buy silly cards and chocolates, I am privileged to pause to tell the world just how much this woman means to me. I suppose it only goes to show you that you can never go wrong by attending Church services! Happy Valentine's Day to my sweetheart, because, baby, you are still the greatest!

You who read my stuff from time to time are well aware that I am prone to embellish here and there but as for the details involving that particular incident, they are just what they are, the facts, period, end of story. But we've made it to today, and we are up and going and thankful for another day that God has given to us. Since love is in the air I thought I might share a few important thoughts on the subject. The shortest book of all time is entitled: What Men Know About Women. How many men does it take to install a new roll of toilet paper? No way to know, it's never happened before. How do men sort their laundry? Really filthy, and, dirty but still wearable. There's many reasons that men are happy. Here's a few: You can become president but you can never become pregnant.; A five day vacation only takes one suitcase.; You never even notice wrinkles in your clothing.; You can actually choose whether you grow a moustache or not.: and, Christmas shopping for 25 relatives on December 24, takes approximately 25 minutes. On the other hand, men learn that marriage is a relationship where one person is always right and the other is called husband. Men also learn that compromise is the way to go, you agree you are wrong, and she agrees with you. Men find out there's a reason it's called the Mother Tongue, because fathers rarely get to speak. And finally, a man does learn that without marriage he is incomplete, after, he is finished.

The jokes are put forth to bring a smile because when it comes down to it, my wife is one of the greatest blessings God has provided to me in my life. In fact, my toughest challenge, next to being faithful to Him, is in striving to meet the calling I have as a husband. That calling compares my love and treatment of my wife to the same love Jesus showed for His bride, the Church, in giving Himself up on the Cross. (The Epistle to The Ephesians, Chapter 5, Verse 5) I've been told many times by folks having trouble that they will respond when the other party does their part first. That sounds fair on the surface but the truth tells us that I have a responsibility to strive to love my wife in the way God tells me to, and she has her own responsibility to be the wife He has called her to be. Those callings are not dependent on the other person because we actually answer to God in how we respond. And, I will tell you it is a challenge whether you've been at it 4 years, 6 years, or the 46 years that God has blessed us with. The exceptionally good news is how that God never asks us to do anything that He does not stand ready to help us to accomplish it. We can't any other way but as the famous verse puts it, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) May God help us to have great husband and wife relationships as a way of building solid families that reflect honor and glory to Him. Amen.  ......More later.

No comments: