Thursday, February 24, 2011

No matter where we live, near or far away, everyone needs the Lord.

It's another Thursday and I am particularly thankful for this day where I am, for the most part, safe and sound, and it is another day that the Lord has given to us on this February 24, 2011. I say that after having listened for sometime to a 24 hour talk radio program from Christchurch, New Zealand. For those who may have been hiding in a cave for the past few days, Christchurch, a city of 400,000, has suffered catastrophic damage by one major earthquake and from a series of major follow-on after shocks over the last three days. This comes on the hills of a major hit they took last September. Listening to men, women, boys, and girls share their experiences, many almost too horrible to contemplate, makes me aware of just how fragile this life is, and just how much we need the Lord our God. As of this morning, 98 are reported as dead with more than two hundred still missing. Looking at the images makes these numbers seem like miracles because you are immediately struck in wondering how anyone could have made it out of all these collapsed structures. I am aware of the sentiment that prevails today where many would just as soon not know anything about tragic happenings like this. To me, it is a matter of concern because people are suffering  and while I can't be there, I can do what I can do, I can pray. That's something we all can do. I am reminded how the Apostle Paul asked that folks in far away places pray for those suffering back in his homeland of Judea. I won't share any of the gut wrenching phone calls I've listened to but I do ask that all of you out there will take a moment and remember the people of New Zealand in prayer as they deal with trying to recover from this devastating event.

We are surrounded by a world in turmoil and while some put out notices about signs and wonders and how they connect to the end of the world, I would only remind us all that every day we have is another opportunity to get right with God, therefore, it's always the right time to turn to Him. You've probably heard my view of when the 'last days' started more than you have wanted, but as I see it, we've been in them ever since our Lord ascended back into heaven. This doesn't mean that we are not getting closer! We have to be closer to His return today than we were yesterday. Duh! But it is true that one day will come when on that day He will usher in the final scenario and our Bible tells us it will be similar to how it happened in Noah's days. Noah preached and preached. Other than his immediate family, no one responded. Finally, God Himself closed the door to the ark. That was then, and we now await the Day when He will implement His final plan. It is appropriate for us to talk about these things openly because there is a clear sense in which God calls us to flee the wrath to come. To warn others is an act of love and concern, not a sky is falling mentality. Therefore, while I cannot connect up all the dots, I can remind us all that our Bible teaches that today is the day of salvation and my fervent prayer is that everyone who reads my blog will have answered God's call to come unto Him. Amen.

Rodney and I, taken more than a few weeks ago!
We enjoyed our birthday luncheon yesterday with our Rodney. Family matters. Maybe that's one thing we can learn from all the calamities we hear about. That is, to hold close those who God has given to you in your life. To spend time with those who mean so much to you. At home. In your local fellowship because they are, after all, your brothers and sisters in Christ. I am blessed to have grown up in a loving family where we all were glued together with family glue. Not everyone has had that privilege. But, thank God I've heard many who say they have found that same family experience in the local fellowship of believers. Now think about that for a moment. And, just so you know, that's exactly the way God intended for it to work. We do live in a world where folks are looking for love and like the song says, way too often they are looking in all the wrong places. Been there and done that. I well remember when I thought wearing a certain brand of business suit and expensive shoes made me a little better than the next guy. I know what it means to have plenty of perks and for folks to open the door for me. Guess what? When it is all said and done, you can take all of that, wrap it up in a huge package, take it down to the coffee shop, put $2 with it, and you might get a small cup to go. Here's what I have learned about family. I've had the loving response from kids who live in the inner city. They've come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. I've seen their tears. I've felt their hugs. I've had the mutual love that comes from being connected to our Church family and I can tell you, it's just like the children sing, deep and wide. Finally, I am most blessed to have my wife, children, their children, and their children, along with my mom and dad, sisters, and brother, and all my other huge extended families. Yes, the song is right: WE ARE FAMILY! Praise the Lord. Amen.            .....More later.

No comments: