Tuesday, February 1, 2011

They have quit telling me to act my age. I wonder why.

Hello everyone. It's Tuesday, February 1, 2011. How in the world are you doing, anyway? My relatives have really been messing with my old body lately. Uncle Arthur (arthritis), he's been doing a number on my hips. Cousin Bursi, (bursitis), he's been giving me a huge old pain in the shoulder and neck. Then finally, Aunt Rheuma (rheumatism), she's just tried to make it so that stuff hurts pretty much all over. I remember a few years ago I complained to the doctor about the pain in my hips. He asked me how I slept at night. I told him I typically sleep on my side drawn up in the fetal position. He said perhaps I needed to learn how to sleep on my back. I told him I didn't like sleeping on my back. He then said perhaps I needed to learn how to endure the pain. What? Everyone's trying to be a comedian and perhaps he's watched way too many reruns of Hee Haw. For me these visitors tend to do their thing in cycles, and I'll be glad to see them pulling out of our driveway on their way somewhere else. Enough of that. I told my wife the other day that it seems like I woke up one morning and the calendar turned its page and suddenly I am not only headed for 65 but I am both feeling and looking it, all at the same time. What ever happened to a gradual phase in approach? I think I checked that box as a preference but it obviously was ignored. Oh well, it could be worse and I don't even want to think how.

I am aware that 65 is only a number but when it reflects the number attached to the years of your sojourn here on the planet it can work on your mind to a certain extent. Our teacher this past Sunday evening brought a lesson from the Apostle Paul's letter to the local assembly in Philippi, Greece. He used that famous verse where we as believers are instructed to be anxious for nothing. That word anxious in the Greek has the meaning of being troubled or overly caring about something. The word nothing means exactly that, nothing at all, not a single, solitary thing. Let me see if I have this right? God sent a word to some folks going through some really tough times and that word told them they were not to be anxious or troubled over anything, period. Hello? Not even when they look in the mirror and see a soon to be 65 year old face? Not even when the fetal position which one has loved since his earliest time on the planet is soon to become a thing of the past? Of course these silly things are said tongue in cheek and the good news is how that the 'NOT' being anxious is not only given as an admonishment by God to deal with any and all challenges in life, but He has also provided us with a way to see that it happens. The actual verses: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7) I guess this means I should forget about trying to find a better mirror. It probably wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway. Right?

On Sunday evenings I like to stand at the first entrance into our Church facilities and welcome the little ones coming to Bible Club. This past Sunday evening I was on the phone with my mom giving her an update on my brother when a little guy came running into the classroom and he jumped up and gave me a big hug. He's maybe four years old and his mom came in and said he was distressed because I was not out there to greet him. They left and I sat there with my eyes filled with tears. No, I'm not becoming a sentimental old fool. I think that happened a long time ago. But what came to mind is how that I used to greet his mom when she was a little girl just like I greet him. She told me some time ago that when they turn on to the Church property and see me standing on that porch it brings back precious memories to her. I just had to thank the Lord for this sweet blessing and for the little guy who missed me at the door. I've told you before folks, it doesn't take much to make my day and that little event was a huge handful on purpose that I will always treasure. Okay. Time to get on with keeping on keeping on, if you know what I mean. No. That's okay. You don't have to send me any anti-aging cream because I'm not anxious about it, at least at the moment. Have a great day and may God bless you all. Amen.              .......More later.


No comments: