Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's warmer this week. Is that good or bad news? Hard to tell.

While we are not exactly tip toeing through the tulips on a Tuesday morning, we are in the midst of a warm up on this February 15, 2011. I think we set a record in our area for the number of consecutive days in February of being below freezing. Climate change is not the only thing changing. The climate change characters are also changing. They are changing their stories. Those who just a few years ago predicted that snow would be a thing of the past because of global warming are now saying the recent record snowfalls have been caused by the warming of our planet. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! But then again, what else would one do with their cake other than eating it. See what I mean? I am not making light of the fact that it stands to reason that a fallen human race would wreak havoc on the bounty of God's creation. However, I am not so sure that those desiring us to totally revamp civilization are completely right in their observations, especially when we discover how the champions of all of this have billions in potential gains from pending legislation. Yeah, it's a mess and finding the truth is not that easy. I read an article from a weather scientist who debunks most of the 'sky is falling' scenarios heralded by the global warming folks. This man was the former head of the National Hurricane Center and holds a Ph.D, therefore, we, the ordinary lay person end up being pulled in all directions. What we do know for sure is that we have a warming trend this week here in our area and it is a welcomed form of climate change for most everyone!

What are the odds? A trooper in Oklahoma reported that he stopped a car speeding doing at least 25 mph over the speed limit. He found the driver to be obviously nervous and shaky. The wife was about to give birth, her water had broken and they were speeding to the hospital. He, of course, let them go. About 15 minutes later he stopped another car doing about the same amount of speeding. Once he came to the window the driver asked that he hurry because their daughter was about to give birth to their first granddaughter. He let them go and then decided to change locations hoping to miss the paternal grandparents trying to get to the hospital as well. At least these folks had a good excuse. I know I heard some whoppers when I was in charge of the large department at the big company many years ago. I also hear them now since I am the early person here at our facility. The following are some that were supposedly those that were actually used but they do challenge one's credulity. "I can't come in today because I've been locked in my apartment and I have to wait until my roommate comes home this evening before I can leave." "I had a dream about being hit by a truck, so just to be safe, I've decided to stay home today."I can't make it today because my rabbit is hiding somewhere and I can't find him." "My fingers are stuck together with Krazy Glue." "My heat is off and I have to stay home to keep my snake warm." And, they go on and on and on.

Interestingly enough, some of the strangest of excuses may actually be the truth. It's like the time I hit my own car with a Church bus. The insurance people had never had that one before. I had a fellow who worked for me once who always joked about how that if everything worked out he would be sick on a certain day. He was a good worker and he would not have called in sick unless he was, but it does reflect the attitude of some regarding their responsibilities. We do live in an excuse prone world. My grandfather was not the kind of fellow who entertained excuses. I can remember how that we waited one morning for someone to come join us for a wee hours early hunting trip. It was very cold. Finally he came to the door and said he had heard the wind blowing during the night and decided not to go. My grandfather had a few choice words about that excuse and since the wind wasn't blowing as we waited, he more or less rejected it as being legitimate. Excuses, excuses, we all have them. Why we didn't keep our word. What caused us to miss our schedule. Why we couldn't get it all together. Yes. Sometimes we have a good reason but often we have only an excuse and an excuse can, upon examination, be very lame at times. What's the antidote to contrived excuses, it's determination, and when we are unable to meet our obligations, it's old fashioned honesty. I will admit that honesty sometimes is stranger than fiction but it's always the best policy, for me, for you, and for us all. Have a great day and may God bless you and yours. Amen.                  ......More later.

No comments: