Friday, February 25, 2011

Gleaned from the internet: If you are choking on an ice cube, quickly drink some very warm water!

Hello everyone, it's Friday, February 25, 2011 and the surfing is up. Yeah. Surfing, not surf. The internet surfing, of course. It is amazing what you can find if you learn how to utilize the search capabilities and archival sites out on the internet. I have done quite a bit on our family lineage. I've found out things I didn't know. I bumped into and worked closely with a distant cousin who has been at the ancestor tracking business much longer than I. I've hit many road blocks, and dead ends and probably have been frustrated more than I've been rewarded, but some of those rewards that I have discovered have been very special. I know there are quite a few older folks, like myself, who use the internet. I actually wish they were more. I have happened upon an old chum, only to find out it's not him, it's not even his son, but it's his grandson for heaven's sake. Come on guys, get with the program. Down a couple of those anti-inflammatories and get those fingers limbered up and let them do some walking down memory lane. I know it can be challenging but it can also be exciting as the bits and bytes here and there begin to show up. I've found photos of folks I haven't seen in fifty years. I've also discovered the deaths of some that I had not heard about their passing. I know the internet can be a great tool of promise but it can also become a plague when it is misused and abused, but what a wonderful facility to help us to stay in touch, share updates, and to connect families and friends, old and new, near and far. My mom uses her little email computer every day. She is quite good at it too. She will be 86 in May. See what I mean? Help me out here. For all you guys that I used to run with so many years ago, here's the bottom line: I don't have that much in common with your grands and great grands.

One of the things I noticed when I was listening to the New Zealand radio station in the aftermath of the earthquake was a complete absence of any mention of God, prayer, or anything related. The stats say that over 50% of the country's population identify themselves as being Protestant. I had the station up in a small window on my computer for several hours and never heard anyone bring up the subject of God. My sampling is not scientific but it seemed very odd to me. Usually, after something so horrendous, someone, at least one, would call out to God for help, or ask people to pray for them. I did see an Anglican Bishop on a news report on Australian TV and he did ask people to pray. But, no one on the talk radio program did. They did talk about the spunk and resilience of New Zelanders. They mentioned how that folks were helping each other to cope. But no mention of God. Again, I'm not saying there are not folks on their knees in New Zealand but it just seemed eerie to me not to hear anyone calling on the Creator for help. I know when we suffered the major hit from Hurricane Ike, every day was a day where we sought God's provision. I'm not condemning them, I'm only reminding us all that when we are at the end of our way, for whatever the reason, we need to seek out and turn to He who said, "I AM The Way, The Truth, and The Life." (Read about it in John's Gospel, Chapter 14)

Another busy work week is drawing to a close. I can tell by the old tick tock on the wall that it's time for us to say farewell. Yeah. I know. I've listened to one too many radio and TV sign offs in my time. Who can forget Cronkite's, "And that's the way it is.", or Paul Harvey in his signature, "Good Day!". One from yesteryear, John Cameron Swayze, "I am glad we could get together.", or the one used by the famed news broadcaster, Edward R. Murrow, "Good night and good luck." The sign off by the Ted Baxter character on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was pretty good, "Good night and good news." One I like is found in the Old Testament. It was spoken by Moses in the Book of Numbers, Chapter 6, Verses 24-26:  “The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.” Amen. That's a wonderful way for me to bid you farewell until we meet again. While none of us know what each new day might bring, it is our privilege to know the One who does. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and enjoy, until once again you sign in and see that garbled greeting from yours truly.                     .....More later.

No comments: