Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We may not have a clue, but it's great to know the ONE who always knows it all, past, present, future, and forever, Amen!

Someone made the comment that today, Tuesday, September 7, 2010, was the designated time to rejoin the real world but they wondered if it was really a great idea to do so. The break was good but not necessarily one of leisure. But for me, returning to work is just what you do, period, end of story. It is a part of the fabric of life and I first thank God to have a place to go, and then I thank God for the place where I get to work. We have our moments of stress and concerns but for the most part I get a huge kick out of the people and the projects I'm involved in. I'm not saying 100% of the folks here share that same attitude but the way I see it, they should! I had a fellow who worked for me once who had been very blessed in his job progress. He was outspoken in declaring his Christian faith but I often saw him dragging around like it was his last day on earth. I pulled him aside and explained all that had come to him as a result of being in our department. I even showed him how to walk with an attitude that demonstrated his appreciation for his supervisory position and as a way of spreading a sense of enthusiasm. He may not have been totally pleased with me for pulling him to the side but he did make some changes and they worked positive results for him and for those who reported to him. How we go about the doing of what we do does make a difference. That's something we all can improve on.

I'm not going to be all negative and ugly about the spontaneous tropical storm named Hermine that we woke up to on Monday morning. Sunday evening must have been a blackout evening for monitoring systems since we didn't hear anything about the potential for some huge and heavy rains headed our way. I'm not going to say any more about the weather folks because I've been pretty consistent in the past but it does show how the unexpected can come unexpectedly even to the reported to be best in the world folks with the best in the world systems. The word clueless comes to mind but then you might think I was being negative or critical so I won't go there. Experts abound but usable knowledge seems to be as hard to find as hen's teeth. Our current smart people in Washington, supposedly the smartest in the history of the world, told everyone that this just completed summer would be a summer noted for job recovery. Sadly, they were not even close as we end the summer with an increase in the unemployment rate. I don't blame the President and Vice President for going with what they were handed by the so called smart people. But, the Harry Truman rule still applies: President Obama chose these people and the buck still stops with him. I heard the lady who headed the President's economic team in her farewell remarks admitting that she had missed it badly when she guaranteed the unemployment would not exceed 8% if the one trillion dollar stimulus bill was passed. Perhaps that's the real reason she's returning to a position where she will be teaching PhD students how to do what she obviously couldn't do. Go figure on that one!

My point is that in a world filled with the only certainty being uncertainty, we do need someone we can rely on, someone that will always know best, and someone we can always count on regardless of the challenge or situation at hand. Those of us who have put our faith in God can attest to the truth that He alone knows all things. He alone can be counted on. He alone has promised never to leave us nor to forsake us. Weather people can wake up, turn on their computer, and rub their eyes as they gasp out a huge UH OH! Economic geniuses can guarantee whatever it is they wish to guarantee but after it's all said and done and most of the trillion is gone but we're worse off than before, she can say "Oh well." and return to her previous rat killing, leaving behind unprecedented pain and anguish. Well, the good news my friend is that our God is never surprised and He is always the same, yesterday, today, and forever, Amen. Here's a verse from a favorite kid's song that really helps put this into a workable perspective: "Jesus you're my firm foundation, I know I can stand secure; Jesus you're my firm foundation, I put my hope in your Holy Word, I put my hope in your Holy Word." I do hope you and yours will have a blessed return to work week and that we will all find ourselves looking to Him as we make our way homeward. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: