Thursday, September 16, 2010

I don't have a clue where this came from: Right or Left Side?

One of the good things about doing a daily blog is how that it causes you to think. I've heard that thinking is supposed to be a very useful activity that helps everything work better. Even though I've done over 850 of them I can't be sure it's been all that helpful to me but it does tend to unscramble a few of the gray cells now and then. It's like the "left handed" day I occasionally do that involves me using the other side of my brain. What's a left handed day? If you are right handed, you more or less, let your right hand rest for a full day while doing everything with your left hand. If you are left handed you do the opposite but I suppose you would have caught that. Right? Sure. Writing with the wrong hand can be a challenge but making the effort does have its rewards, or so they say. I do know you can train yourself to do things you would not have thought possible. Because of the way my desk is set up here in my office it became better for my work to operate my computer mouse with my left hand. Ouch! It took about a week and now I can blow and go without even thinking about it. You should see someone who sits at my workstation trying to use that mouse. I feel bad for them and would hate for them to see themselves all twisted up just trying to point and click. In passing, I will tell you that using keys and unlocking doors are particularly wearisome on left handed days, but enough of that for one day. How in the world are you doing, anyway, on this Thursday, September 16, 2010?

Some reporting arm estimates the total number of websites swirling around out on the internet to be in excess of 12 billion. That is a few my friend. Let me try to put that into some perspective. A billion seconds ago would land you in 1959. One billion minutes ago Jesus was still walking here on the planet. I thought of using how long it takes our government to burn through a billion but that's no longer even a shocker. Twelve billion? I wonder how many of these provide anything of substance? I can be sure mine does. Why? Because I do try to mention God and His provision for humanity on a fairly frequent basis, therefore, that alone qualifies some of what I share as not only being meaningful but of eternal consequence as well. I've never been ocean surfing but I do enjoy web surfing. There's some random url generators out there that land you on a different website about as fast as you can click. The one I use tries to screen out the bad stuff but it is a real interesting way to visit here, there, and anywhere, without leaving the comfort of your chair along with, in my case, my left-handed mouse. Click: Wally's Groove World, an online record store in Belgium, that's right, they still sell records. Click: A site called Rebecca's Pocket where she features 50 ways to use preserves, jams, jellies, marmalades, and fruit butters. Click: A tribute page to Gene Wilder the actor. Click: Landed on TomPaine.Com and there's common sense stuff there that will get your attention, for sure. Of course there are untold oodles of technical sites out there where nerdy folks can chat to their heart's content, and no telling how many 'lost in space' abandoned sites there are. But, if variety is the spice of life, surely you can find some of it somewhere within that 12 billion plus haystack!

You probably think I am ADD. Right? I think I am more of a EDHTSI type of person. You never saw that one before. Okay, let me decipher it for you. EDHTSI= Easily Distracted Hard To Stay Interested. In other words, all over the page, typically without much rhyme or reason, most of the time. Maybe it's the remote control malady slopping over into my internet usage. It does come down to different strokes for different folks. If you get bored jumping from one website to another you can always check out the webcams that allow you to see the sun set in Brisbane Australia or rise in Hawaii, all in real time. Occasionally I check in on the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem where pilgrims are praying 24 hours a day. I will be the first to admit there is much evil also available at any click at any time. This is why parents must pay close attention to their own use and even more when their children are using the internet. One word misspelled or one click on the wrong link can bring forth devastating images. Never underestimate the creativity and determination of those who live to do harm to your children! On the other hand, you can read the Bible in hundreds of languages, listen to sermons preached, even by men of God who have been dead for years. You can communicate with loved ones, share photos, videos, and even teleconference in real time. The technology itself is neutral but how it is used determines its value for good or bad. Lastly, it provides a platform for someone like me to occupy my little portion of that vast array of sites so that I can send my little version of how I view things. And, as I have always reminded everyone, you are only one click away from getting to the next site that might produce something of more interest. Have yourself a blessed day and I'll see you again, Lord willing, on the flip side! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: