Thursday, September 23, 2010

Have you had your breakfast for champions today?

I'm feeling a little like the last guy to stumble through the finish line at the end of the marathon, but how are you anyway on this Thursday, September 23, 2010? They used an expression when I was growing up to illustrate when you are more or less spent by saying how you felt like you had been pulled through a rat hole backwards. I can typically tell when I have switched fuel tanks only to find all of them empty. Some might think I am studying to play Grumpy in an upcoming production. It's one of those situations where your mind keeps saying yes but your body keeps threatening to boycott the program. I got caught in rush hour traffic the other day in our company truck that has a stiff standard transmission and let me tell you something, I did some shifting that day! When I climbed out of the truck my hips were humming, "Nobody's seen the trouble I've seen!" I told my dear pastor friend, Bro. Kim, the other night that I needed some of that breakfast for champions that Dr. Adrian Rogers used to preach about. The late Dr. Rogers is one of the greatest radio bible preachers I've ever listened to. One of my favorite sermons is his about how that Caleb and Joshua gave a good report for victory when they had spied out the promised land. Their ten comrades had given a contrary report of how dangerous and impossible it would be for them to take the land. They complained that the Anakim (a race of giants) lived there, to which Caleb and Joshua replied that the Anakim would be bread for them. That was the title of Bro. Rogers' sermon, "Anakim, Breakfast of Champions." You can read all about this in the Old Testament Book of Numbers Chapter 14. We all have some of those pesky Anakim that challenge us each day but with God's help we can persevere and gain the victory. Would someone please send this message to my humming hips?

I guess the good news coming from Washington this week is the report from a recognized panel of experts declaring that the recession officially ended in June of 2009. I've gone on and on in the past how that economists and weather people should join together since they dabble in a strange world where their pronouncements and their projections are often way off. Even the President admitted that while the recession may have technically ended, it continues to be a depression for many Americans. And, folks, that's not a feels like depression for so many, it is a serious issue faced every day as people attempt to provide for themselves and their families. I've never blamed this current administration for the huge economic problems they inherited. However, if you are elected to do something about the problems the nation faces, well, you have to show that you have at the least improved the situation. This is where I see a disconnect of huge proportions. Recovery summer was supposed to be a campaign celebration led by Vice President Biden to tout all their wonderful accomplishments but due to the continuing collapse of the economic well being of our nation, rightly interpreted by the majority of Americans as failure, not success, they have had to change it to a stop the bleeding campaign instead. This leads inquiring minds to wonder just how much of our red ink was spent on the canceled promotional campaign designed to convince us that things are great instead of the lousy most folks are seeing. I will tell you this. If you are able to make it during these difficult times, thank God. If you are able to help those who are struggling, do it, and thank God you are able to do so. Amen.

The other evening in our inner city Bible club lesson, I was struck by the simplicity of the message. The theme for this year is how that God created each of us with purpose. As we teach these little ones I am reminded that we too, yes, all of us, need to receive the Word as children because that's who we are, children of the living God! In fact, I had it wrong for a long time about a concept of growth to maturity in our faith walk. The Bible talks about believers growing and eventually becoming fruit bearing mature saints. However, we sometimes get the idea this means outgrowing the simplicity of truth that feeds us as the 'children' that we are. Here's what the Apostle Peter said, "As newborn babies, desire the sincere milk of the Word." (1st Peter Chapter 2, Verse 2) I used to think this verse applied to new believers only because they are called new babes in Christ. This is so wrong. Peter is saying that if we are to be victorious in our life we must develop a desire to be fed from the Word of God. How is this desire described? Like a hungry newborn desperately seeking milk to satisfy his need! Some of the simplest of illustrations used in our Bible club have become reminders to me about my need to hunger and thirst for the sincere milk of the Word. Okay. That's it for today. Don't forget to get you some of that breakfast for champions because you will need it to deal with the giants that are out there waiting for you. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: