Friday, September 24, 2010

All out of breath waiting to take in some cooler air that reportedly is headed out way!

Update on my brother: He has had another eventful week with the development of a blood clot in one of his legs. He underwent a surgical procedure yesterday to implant a filter to help break up the clot if it were to move. He also has been moved back to the long term acute care facility. He is off the respirator and stable. One of the things I have noticed is the dedication and professionalism of many of the people attending to him. I told one lady last Saturday that while I knew it was a job, I could tell she had a calling to do what she was doing by the way she was doing it. I do thank God for folks who engage in the work of helping those who cannot help themselves. Thanks for your prayers.
******
You did show up again. Good to see you. I do hope all is well. It is Friday, September 24, 2010 and they are promising some cooler weather coming up over the next few days. I will be most happy when they change out cooler to colder but in the meantime, we will take it, because to tell the truth it's been a rather long muggy season here. You say that's the way it is every year? I didn't say it wasn't but I also say the same thing every year about how I can hardly wait for the colder weather. I know. I am so predictable. Surely we wouldn't carry 90 degree plus temps into October, would we? People who are anticipating a move into this area might need to read the Wikipedia article on our climate. It opens by saying ours is a humid subtropical environment. It goes on to mention our exposure to flooding, hurricanes, and intense thunderstorms. That's all in the first paragraph. I'm glad they didn't include the traffic situation or folks would be high tailing it in the other direction. With all the crowding, that might not be such a bad idea. I would throw out to you that while there may be other places that have more moderate climate characteristics, typically, everywhere you go, they all come with their own set of issues. I once transferred a fellow to the Los Angeles area and he fell in love with the weather conditions there. However, within a few months he had experienced a sizable earthquake and had also seen the destruction brought on by wildfires. They tell me that in California even the little kids list 'the big one' as their number one fear. See what I mean? We live in a world where there's much groaning. Groaning from folks hurting, and groaning as those tectonic plates rub against each other along with the other climatic forces making their voices heard. My advice is to trust in God every day and take advantage of wherever you happen to be by doing what the old song says: "Brighten the corner where you are! Brighten the corner where you are! Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar; Brighten the corner where you are!"

Yesterday my wife sent me a note saying she needed to take in some of that breakfast of champions I wrote about. One thing should be clear by now. That is how that yours truly typically writes about issues, needs, and other details that reflect his own personal journey. Therefore, who would you suggest needed to hear about the breakfast of champions sermon more than anyone else? You got it right on the first guess: Me, myself and I. I also know that if I need to be encouraged and built up, it's likely that others do also. That famous example applies. The one that explains how that sharing the Gospel is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where he or she found bread. I've recently been very involved with some folks that come at life without any spiritual foundation. They get up every day and go about their business based on their way of seeing things. Those of us who seek God to help make our way each day rightfully see things differently. How could we expect them to see it our way? We are not better than they are because of our recognition of God, we are just different, and when we recognize this, perhaps we can do our best to reflect with love and respect how that God is the Reason for this difference. I heard a preacher say the other day that folks needed to see the Bible as much as they needed to hear the Bible. The Bible can be seen by others when we do our living God's way.

I know that old age is no longer slipping up on me. It overtook me some time ago but there are some benefits. People want to help me more. I notice they say sir more often to me. And, there are times when some actually want to know my advice on a particular subject. I can still hear pretty well but I'm sure having it falter some is a coming attraction. Then I will get to be a part of this joke. Three old dudes were out playing golf. The first one said, "It's windy, isn't it?" The second replied, "No, I think it's Thursday." The last one joined in, "Yeah, me too, let's go get some iced tea!" Racing legend Mario Andretti retired from auto racing a number of years ago. They say he called it quits after he was accused of leaving the left turn signal on for the entire race. Here's a few bumper stickers for me to consider: Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional; Enjoy life, it comes with an expiration date; I'm speeding because I have to get there before I forget where I am going; YOUNG AT HEART, slightly older in other places; Fishmore and Dolittle, retirement planning consultants; and, FLORIDA, God's waiting room. We now move on. Tomorrow is Saturday and I do hope you enjoy it. Then we have our Lord's Day Sunday and I highly recommend that we all show up at the location where God's people meet because He has promised to be there too! That's something I do not want to miss out on! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: