Friday, September 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Brother!

Friday before Labor Day and for some of us, we didn't even think about it being a holiday weekend. Just too much stuff flying here and there I suppose, but I do bid you welcome to this September 3, 2010. Today is my brother's birthday. He is 62 today. I'm 100% certain he never dreamed he might be spending it laid up in an ICU room where one day's cost could probably pay for a week or two at the finest of hotels. Donald has some challenges ahead but one thing he has going for him, he is a Marine! No. You would be wrong to say he was a Marine. USMC retired but we all have learned that once you become a part of the Corp you will always be, forever and ever, Amen. He did a number of years as a basic training drill instructor. I saw a website one day where Marines were remembering their training and my brother's name was listed with others of the feared DI's . An older fellow at our Church told me once that no one is hated more than your Marine drill instructor but when he found himself in combat and he responded with the rote training that had been poured into him, he said he wanted to find his DI and give him a huge hug, for building in him that which he needed to survive. He also told me to tell my brother that somewhere Marines are alive today because of what he instilled in them during their training. That's some pretty heady stuff, don't you agree? Happy Birthday brother, and may God help you through this current challenge!

Since we have made no specific plans for being off Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I bet you think this will be like a windfall, right? Hardly. However, I am thankful for the time and I know the fellows here at our company will enjoy a bit of a rest. They have been working 5 12-hour days, and 8 on Saturday for several weeks now. We are so very thankful for the workload that has required these extra hours and do not take that for granted at all. We talk about the fact that many are still facing uncertain futures in the job market but it really is interesting how much our sense of well being plays into the economic situation we find ourselves in. They tell us that people who do have jobs are worried. Because they are worried they are not spending money. They are choosing to hold on to what they have because they do not feel good about the future. They could be spending some of their money but their feelings or lack of confidence has caused them to go into a holding pattern. The holding pattern coupled to the continued high levels of unemployment races through the economy causing the bleak results that we see reported each day. I heard one so called expert saying that if everyone who had a job would ease up a little on holding back, we would see a surge in economic success. I say so called intentionally because I have grouped economists and weather people together in terms of their ability to forecast accurately just about anything. A lack of confidence. Funds may be tight but they are available but businesses are waiting and people are being extremely cautious. Why? Simply put, we all have little faith in those charting our future economic course at this time.

My years of exposure to leadership says that one of the best ways to judge effectiveness is to look behind you and see if anyone is following. I know what it means as a leader to have a group of folks who would do anything they could to help the program succeed. No. I am not bragging because it has to do with this confidence issue. The folks I led never had to question my commitment. They saw it every single day. I earned their respect by how I went about the doing of what I did. Of course it was important that decisions and direction be effective but in this regard I often wonder about our current leaders in Washington. People have lost confidence because what they see does not connect into a vision they can believe in or support. This is reflected in poll after poll. I think it interesting to consider how this matter of confidence becomes such a crucial entity in terms of getting our nation back on track. People want to follow. They desire to be productive. But, we all need leaders that we can believe in. There are literally hundreds of theories about what constitutes effective leadership. It has been studied to death. Today, people are voting with their response. The response of folks in general is negative, fearful, and withdrawn. If the response of the American people reflects upon the current approach to leadership, and I believe it is nearly 100%, then some soul searching at the top is needed. Leaders don't build trust by blaming others or by acting in ways that is inconsistent with their followers sense of what is needed. Change is necessary. Delay is deadly. May God give those in power today the courage to recognize and respond before it gets even worse. Have a great holiday weekend and remember to whisper a prayer for my brother. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: