Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Half empty or half full? We all need to have a full measure of God's grace and power!

Please don't adjust your set or change your radio dial. It is only yours truly coming to you once again from the wonderful world of Bloggerville where folks can pretty much lay it all out there. Welcome to Tuesday, September 28, 2010. I know most, at least most of those on my distribution list, are enjoying the cool breeze each morning. There is something invigorating about the welcome relief of some cooler air. Yesterday's blog was borderline preachy and at times I'm tempted to hit the delete button and start over. However, I do know at the end of the day, (a phrase that supposedly people hate because of its over use), it ends up being what it is, nothing more, nothing less, that being one person's viewpoints expressed on a particular day. I do worry some at times about the half-full or half-empty flavor of how I might come across. I hate being classified. Folks want to know if you are optimistic or pessimistic. I tend to think I come from a line of shirt sleeve realists who got up every day and went about their business, one day at a time, one challenge at a time, and did so with a legacy that showed while they were not able to dictate what each day might bring, they did what they did knowing the One who holds all things together. I can remember a pastor who once went on a campaign to eliminate any and all things negative in the services. He even extended that into his presentation of the Bible, God's Holy Word. To me this was lunacy. Why? Because God created us and He had perfect insight into why, in our fallen condition,  we needed to be told "You shall not!"

To me, speaking the truth in love is very much what we need today. I am well aware of how contagious a gloom and doom attitude can be. I've known people that pretty much lived every day waiting for the proverbial safe to fall from a building and land on top of their head. Some folks bring their own black cloud with them everywhere they go. Many tend to cultivate their lives based on finding fault with others. I've had folks that worked for me that no matter how they prospered or were recognized, they tended to find something negative in each situation. A thankful heart will go a long way in changing our disposition. For those of us who have placed our trust in Jesus, our Savior and Lord, we should be overflowing with gratitude. That old song that tells us to count our blessings is an excellent way for us to become grateful. Because when we see ourselves for who we really are and then meditate on the love God extended to us through the sending of His one and only Son to save us, now that gives us something to be thankful for each and every moment of each and every day. The Apostle Paul instructed the impoverished believers in the local fellowship at Philippi to focus their thinking in this way: "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9)

I suppose I can grab hold of those words pretty well until Paul uses himself as an example for them to follow. Ouch! It reminds me of how as a young dad I often would portray the do as I say as opposed to the do as I do type of instruction. That old public service commercial comes to mind. The one where the the young boy is following his dad and when his dad throws down his cigarette, the little guy picks it up. The old preachers used to say that each individual may be the only Bible that some people will ever read. Then they would bring home their point: "What are they reading from your approach to life?" Ouch again. I think it good for us all to know there is a rub off effect from how we interact with others, at home, at work, and wherever we go. How is it that we could ever hope to be the message bearer that shines forth a lifestyle of faith, hope, and love? Only when we recognize that in and of ourselves, it will not be happening. We need an infusion of God's grace and power to enable us to be all that He would have us to be, and, we need it each and every day as we go about the doing of the life He has given to us. Recognizing our blessings and seeing how that what we do impacts those around us is a great place to start. Desiring to make a difference and seeking God's help in doing so is the first step towards becoming a Bible read by others where they hear God speaking to them. That, my friend, is quite a ministry, and it's the ministry we all are called to, as those who go forth representing our Savior! Amen. Yes, you are right. Sounds like I needed that!                   ......More later.

No comments: