Friday, September 25, 2009

Waiting on the weather.

It’s Friday, September 25, 2009 and I have thoroughly enjoyed the down payment of a couple of cooler days this week. Once or twice I’ve seen the Brad Paisley country song video with Andy Griffith entitled: Waiting on a Woman. I watched it because I like Andy Griffith, Mayberry, Barney, Gomer, Goober, Aunt Bea, Opy, Floyd, and the rest of the gang. The song is about how much time is spent/wasted by a man waiting on his woman to do her thing throughout a lifetime, but also how much it is worth it as she is his soul mate for life, or some such romantic notions like that. It’s one of those syrupy sentimental presentations of marital bliss, anticipation, and gushy mushy such stuff like that. That’s all well and good but when I think of anticipation at this time of year it typically involves a hungering for cold fronts and the first frost of the season. While I have enjoyed the mid sixties stuff this week I spotted a 54 on the map as a guess for next week. Now that’s something worth waiting for!

I will readily admit that all the aches and pains brought to me by old Uncle Arthritis makes it a little harder to get as excited, but, thus far, I’ve not let him deter me from getting all worked up about my annual quest for global cooling. Those wanting it to stay warm seem to be on the increase. Even men! For crying out loud! What a shame! Day before yesterday, sitting out on the porch here at the company with a cool breeze blowing and a hot cup of coffee smoking, my older cohort here at work, Bro. Jim, and I did some reminiscing about cool weather memories. I told him about coming in the back door of my Grammy Mac’s kitchen on a bitterly cold day. As a high school senior I only had to go a half-day and she knew I would be coming home early. It would be so cold the grass was just nearly crunchy as I made my way to the door. Once opened, I was hit by the smell of cold weather cooking that still makes my mouth water. All the windows in that old house would be completely fogged up but she would have a freshly baked pile of sweet potatoes sitting on the stovetop. I would grab one and bust it open and fill it up with butter. Talk about good eating, and especially good on a wonderful cold day.

I am so very thankful that our first day of fall this year actually saw a fall in the temperature. That’s not always the case in these parts. And, the hot weather has not given up the ghost yet but these little previews sure get me tuned in to wanting to see the full episode when it arrives. I know I go on and on about the cooler weather and no doubt some of you think it to be a little on the silly side. There are those who immediately think snow shoveling and ice storms when they think about cold weather, and that’s not such a great thought to them. But for me, my eldest son, and perhaps one or two others in our family, we have been genetically predisposed to call this our silly season, because we do love the cooler temps and do so much look forward to them. God gave us the seasons and He said they would continue until He chooses to bring an end to all things here on earth. Someone needs to remind Mr. Al Gore about this promise from the Creator. Yesterday morning I stood opening the gate here to our company in a light rain with the cool breeze blowing and it was enough to make me want to do the teaberry shuffle, whatever that is. I hear you: Enough already of this nonsense for one day. You all go on and have yourselves a great Saturday and remember to gather with other believers at the local Church meeting place in recognition of the Resurrection that took place on the first day of the week, Sunday. Until next time, may God bless each one! Amen. ………More later.

No comments: