Monday, September 28, 2009

His mercy endures forever!

Hello world, it's Monday, September 28, 2009 and we are up, going, and still thanking God for His mercy that endures forever. (See Psalm 136) Please say a prayer for my mom. She had a scare yesterday and was taken by helicopter from her home some 60 miles away to a hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana. She thought she was having a heart attack but according to my last report from last night they had ruled out her heart as being the problem. Mom is 85 and is just getting over the flu. She is one of the remarkable blessings God has given into my life and into the lives of many generations in our family. We pray for her recovery and we pray for peace from God and that His will would be done. Dad said he hoped they would release her to return home if not last night, perhaps by this morning. She had prepared a meal to be taken to her step-daughter who is suffering from ALS and just might have overdone it. Now that would be very much in keeping with her inherited stubborn spirit. I suppose my wife is glad that this stubbornness wasn't handed down to me but don't ask her about it because you can take my word on it.

I'm still busily preparing for my upcoming jolly old elf gig. The beard deal is at that point where I look sort of like one of those fellows you live under a bridge but once people know why I look the way I do they nod and say, "Yeah, I can see it now." We were at a wedding Saturday and saw many beloved friends we had not seen in a while. I could tell some of them were uneasy about my appearance but they didn't want to ask. They probably figured I had finally gone over the cliff in terms of my mental status and they certainly didn't want to say anything that might set me off. One fellow persisted in saying I must be playing Moses or Abraham in a play. I called over one of the beautiful young ladies from our Church and asked her to inform him as to my true identity. She said, "He is Santa Claus." If you recall I had been inspired by the testimony of a gentleman who had been a Santa in the children's hospital system for years. He died suddenly and I was so impressed by his testimony of bringing joy to children for so many years. Sunday morning I gave one of my Santa business cards to his daughter. She has three beautiful girls and they always give me a hug on Sunday morning. She looked at the card and asked if I knew that her dad had been a Santa for years before he died. She beamed when I told her that his testimony was one of the reasons I decided to give it a try. If I make it through this year, I hope to be doing volunteer work in the hospitals by next year.

One of the things we all realize is how that we live where we are only one phone call away from a sudden change in our thinking and in our schedules. When we heard about my mom we were frozen while waiting to hear any news. My wife wondered why I was not on the highway headed there but as I told her it was a four hour drive and we would do better to pray and wait before making that decision. I have a great peace about my mom's life and how that God has been so good to allow her to be with us for these many years. I typically talk to mom probably four or more times a week. I call her during the week and we have a regular time slot for both Saturday and Sunday. We had a great visit Sunday morning and she was feeling better and already thinking about all she needed to do to get the food ready to send to her step-daughter. She cooks meals for people. This is one of her things to do in trying to serve the Lord by serving others. She is a special treasure and we pray God's presence will be so very close to her as she recovers from this latest challenge. And, I send out this blog with a prayer for all that read that you would seek God first in all things as you go about your busy week! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: