Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Not a good way to start any day!

It is Tuesday, September 15, 2009 and it's very early just like my normal day except I am sitting in the shop office doing my blog. Why? I am very glad you asked because it has to do with that wonderful device in my office called the personal computer. It has been feeling very poorly since yesterday afternoon and a good night's sleep obviously did it no good at all! Think about it. We live in an age when it is both horribly inconvenient and also extremely aggravating when you have a serious problem on your personal computer. My unit was doing its thing and then without so much as a how do you do it freezes mid screen. I've seen that before. No problem. I will just do a restart. I did. It didn't. Okay, no problem. I will power everything down and start from scratch. I did. It didn't. Now this was beginning to get on my nerves a little. I know what to do. I will bring it up in SAFE mode. That's what you do when it wants to be persnickety about things. It refused to come up even in SAFE mode. I brought the dude up in recovery mode using the Hewlett Packard utility and after running diagnostics I got about the worst news one can get: Hard drive failure. Now you might think. Okay, a hard drive, no big deal. They are pretty inexpensive these days, right? Yeah, that would be correct but there's that little thing about the 50 gigabytes of data on this now fatally flawed disk drive that has given me some pause and cause to reflect: What a revolting development this is; and another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie! (For my younger readers, those two comments come from way back when, the first from The Life of Riley Radio/TV program and the other from the famous comedy duo of Laurel and Hardy. Just so you know.)

My good friend Brother Jim here at the company said he tried to use Tonto's signature phrase "Kemo Sabe" in talking with some of our younger workers and they didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about. He mentioned the Lone Ranger and his famous sidekick but none of it registered with these guys. Man, this makes it hard to figure out how to carry on a decent conversation with these dudes. Where was I? Yeah, back to our program which was already previously interrupted by a hard drive error, or maybe a lost segment needed to boot up, or any number of other things that Hewlett Packard should be ashamed of. I ran the error code down on another pc attached to the internet and believe me, it is a well recognized error. Sadly, it is usually fatal in terms of its long term recoverability. Shucks, I would at the moment, just like some short term recoverability! Reading some of the comments from those reporting this same problem was very educational. Some expressed a desire that both HP and Compaq would immediately evaporate off the face of the earth. Others wanted to get their hands on the engineer responsible for choosing this hard drive. Then you had those wanting to see the company executives lined up and whipped in public. And, those were the ones I could share in my family friendly blog.

Okay, I exaggerate some here but this "HD521-2W" error has stirred up a hornet's nest for me. I finally decided to go for the big gun. I called my own private consultant who typically can deal with almost any kind of computer issue. It's my eldest son Chris. He finally consulted his sources and came back with a few things that might bring it back to life but without a whole lot of confidence since this is a serious hardware issue. I have a fallback recovery program but it will take the system back to when it was first installed over two years ago. That's a scary thought but one I will have to seriously consider. Realizing the huge significance of this problem, my wife asked last night, "But what will you do without a PC?" Good question. I am still thinking about it. Thus far all I have is: What a revolting development this is; and another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie! The good news? God is still on His throne and He is still our Father who cares. Have a great day and may God bless one and all! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: