Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Brand new 'old' computer!

Thanks to Bro. Ronnie, our owner, who is a card carrying computer geek, for helping to recover ole hp for me yesterday afternoon. Therefore, here we go again on this brand new middle day of the week, Wednesday, September 16, 2009. Most of yesterday I had to sit in my office where not a creature was stirring and especially not even my computer mouse! Every time I looked at that ugly blank screen just sitting there and staring at me my blood pressure would inch up a notch. “Go ahead, just sit there, you sorry outfit, you won't even give me the time of day.” At that point it was nothing more than an overpriced door stop until we did some brain surgery. You thought the CPU was the brain, didn't you? Think again computer Cadet! Without the information swirling on that hard drive that CPU can run faster than a speeding bullet all day long but has no idea where it is going or where it has been!

Guess what? Necessity is the mother of invention as I actually reverted back to writing on paper with pen and ink. I drafted both yesterday's and today's blogs the old fashioned way. It was a real trip to put pen to paper again. I've actually written so much in the last two days that my long standing writing bump on the middle finger of my right hand has come back to make a one time return appearance. It was so good to see my old friend again. He had put up with many of my brain storms and spasms, dealt with endless rewrites, and often had seen his hard work waded up and thrown into the wastebasket. He thought when he handed the baton over to the keyboard that his days were pretty much set for retirement, but thanks to ole hp he had to be called back for some unexpected duty.
Yeah, it is good to have a trustworthy friend on duty since ole hp came down with swine flu or some other supposed ailment. Everybody knows how I hate it when my computer calls in sick, or in this particular case, he called in dead. This reminds me of my famous calling in dead story. I knew an IBM guru who actually did the exact same thing. He didn't show up for a scheduled presentation and the department head waiting for him was livid. She loudly proclaimed, “He had better have a really good excuse!” About that time they received a call from IBM telling them he had been discovered dead from a massive heart attack in his hotel room. Now, that my friend, is what I call the ultimate call in excuse! Our recovery required a restoration of the system back to its original install date. I can't remember the last sounds ole hp made before he gave up the ghost but I do know he's very busy at the moment currently trying to figure out how all this new stuff showed up since he is now two years younger. He wants me to have to reload a bunch of software and in the end he will most likely get his way. I'm thrilled that he's up and running but there was something about the two days of quiet time that was kind of nice. But now it's back to the real world and in a few days he will have all the fixes in place and back doing the stuff that keeps us both a little crazy. He's still a little confused but at least we are talking to each other again. Go ahead and join me in sharing a little smile, after all, it is good for whatever that ails you. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: