Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Poppy Claus is coming to town!

Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that we have made it to Wednesday, September 2, 2009. We had our first inner city Bible club gathering last night and we had a blast. Or, at least I think it was a blast. I hear about people using that word to describe a really good time, therefore, I think it does appropriately describe our first meeting of the season. We have a few rough edges to work on but we are off and running and looking forward to what God has planned for us this year. When club ended, I was in a big hurry to get home because our Alexander Benjamin spent the night with us last night. I don’t know how other grandparents operate but I get this gnawing kind of hunger to see my grandchildren when it has been a few days. I (by experience) know as they grow older they will have many other things that will claim their time, but for now we are going to spend as much time as we can with as many of them as we can. Little Alex will soon be four and he is a character par excellence and so very precious to us.

This past Monday afternoon I left the office early to take our middle son for an MRI on his shoulder injured many years ago in a motorcycle accident. He had to have a mild sedative so I drove him to his appointment. When I arrived to pick him up his three eldest were just coming in from school so I told them they could tag along for the ride. Once we dropped him off I took them to the nearby Chick-fil-A for an early supper. I think I will use that word one more time, we had a blast! They had a funny look on their faces when they asked and I told them they could have anything they wanted on the menu. That’s a Poppy response. They loaded themselves up with nuggets, fries, and milkshakes and I loved being with them as they babbled on and on about this, that, and the other.

The main topic of discussion that afternoon was none other than their Poppy being Santa this year. Each one had a different story about how they had told their friends about how their Poppy would most likely be doing something different than their grandfathers. Jimmy said he could hardly wait to see what everyone thought when they see me all dressed up. He reminded his sisters that he had accompanied me when we went to purchase the Santa outfit, therefore, he, more or less, has the inside track on all things pertaining to Poppy Claus. Alesha said she told her friend that I was going to be the Santa at the local mall. I corrected that fact since I will only be doing some work at a photography shop. Amanda said she told her friend that because my cheeks get rosier and rosier the closer we get to Christmas, I will make a perfect Santa. They all wanted to make sure they would have the opportunity to be photographed with me. I had no idea this had become such a popular subject but what a blessing it was to spend an hour laughing and having a good time with these precious children. That little unexpected visit ended up being one of those handfuls on purpose and I do thank God for it! Do you get the idea that Poppy loves spending time with his grandchildren? Consider yourself to be above average if you answered in the affirmative. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen. ……….More later.

No comments: