Thursday, September 17, 2009

Escape to which mountain?

It's a wee bit cooler this morning on this Thursday, September 17, 2009, and I believe every person, regardless of status, standing, background, or circumstance, participates in some form of escapism. Whether it is reading a book, watching a television show or movie, or even engaging in a thought encounter outside the day-to-day grind of reality, people do seek some respite in this form of momentary vacation. I would guess it has something to do with our wiring in combination with the difficult world we’ve created for ourselves, that coupled to the enormous amount of stress we carry each day. I am most likely an example of a long-term escapee, however, as a believer, it is always with the knowledge that I must return to the reality of the life God has given to me. In my case, I find it useful to visit the places I read about in my Bible studies, to picture myself there with the individuals written about, and in doing my best to try and experience some of what they were going through. It has helped me to enhance my appreciation and respect for the folks we find on the pages of our Bibles.


I prefer historically accurate movies and reenactments. My wife loves the genre of movies called chick flicks. I’ve tried to watch them with her and they are so absolutely over the top they make my head hurt. On the other hand she would fall apart if I asked her to sit through a four-hour portrayal of what happened at Gettysburg during the Civil War. When I point out the absurdity of the obvious quirks in one of her films she no doubt would have questions about how I could seriously gain anything from watching documentaries about things that happened hundreds of years ago. Sure, there is the element of men being from Mars and women being from Venus in all of this, but the bottom line has to do with a momentary excursion away from the demands of the moment and that is typically called escapism.

In some respects the truth teaches us to have our thoughts centered on the unseen reality of a world much different from our own. It is the unseen reality of the Kingdom of God where He rules and reigns as Sovereign and we are first and foremost, His subjects. Now here’s the neat thing about this truth. It is not an escape because it is the actual reality for those who are true subjects, having been born into the family of God (His Kingdom) through the atoning work of Jesus the Christ on the Cross of Calvary. Our citizenship is ultimately not of this world but it is now and forever established as a present reality in the world to be revealed. When we live our lives as citizens of the Kingdom we are already a part of, we live according to Kingdom laws and we follow the direction and leadership of our Sovereign, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Now that is a reality for us all to escape to and in doing so it will impact our time here not only in the moment, but for all of eternity. I leave you with this admonition: Think on these things! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: