Monday, September 14, 2009

Jesus didn't say "if" the storms would come, He said "when" they come!

In the wee hours of September 13, 2008 we heard this huge crash. We said to each other it must be a really gigantic limb. It was gigantic but it wasn’t a limb. It was an entire tree that Hurricane Ike helped deposit into our home. I’m not even sure how many hours before we knew it was a tree. I’m almost certain some knew what it was before we did. We were sheltered in place downstairs for several hours before venturing up to begin checking things out including that super loud noise caused by the impact that shook our entire home. Being ‘sheltered in place’ is one of those phrases you become very familiar with when you survive a hurricane like Ike. When water started leaking in most of the downstairs and you live in a two-story house, okay, we were probably stunned, but we eventually snapped to the fact that the water had to be coming from somewhere. When I finally made my way up the stairs and opened the door to our eldest son’s bedroom, Chris’ room is what we still call it, we had a brand new view of the street and the water was pouring in. (I heard last night that the name 'Ike' has been retired from ever being used again as a named storm because of the huge devastation it caused.)

One year later on this Monday, September 14, 2009 we are first in line to be thanking God for helping us get through this great challenge in our lives. Most of you know the story. The house was gutted and my wife’s brother, Milton, suffered a catastrophic heart and stroke attack while helping to rebuild it. Rather than rehearse the innumerable details reflecting the anguish and pain involved in dealing with this event, perhaps it is better to consider lessons learned. Having insurance is a good thing. Having to use insurance in dealing with a major loss? I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, however, we ended up okay. The local stations have been playing special reports all last week to revisit Ike and my heart is broken for those they have interviewed who are still fighting to get the first dime out of their insurance companies. Many of them have abandoned their homesites because they have no funds to rebuild. Throughout this trying time we also exprienced first hand God’s help provided to us through the generosity and kindness of family, brothers and sisters in Christ, and so many friends and neighbors who gave of their time and resources to help us through this season of testing.

One year later we live in our rebuilt home that is nicer than we would have ever thought possible. Just two weeks ago I finished up with what I hope will be the final transaction with my insurance adjuster. It involved a damaged computer. My final email to him was one where I thanked him for his assistance and I wished a blessing from God upon himself and his family. He sent me back an email and said that I was due a lot of the credit for doing my part, down in the trenches, and that he was happy to have been able to have helped, and that he too wished me and my family God’s best. Other than our ears perking up any time we hear about a depression forming off the African coast, I think we have settled back in pretty well. We still have one room filled with boxes that have not been unpacked. We still have my office and my wife’s office to complete. But, on the other hand, we still have our dear Brother Milton to be able to visit with. We still have folks we see who will always be close to us because of their caring. And, one year later, we still have God to thank for His blessings on us. Amen and Hallelujah, praise be to His Holy Name. …..More later.

No comments: