Monday, April 27, 2009

There's just not that much to do on a Thursday.

Last Thursday I took the day off to spend with my wife for her birthday. I looked far and wide for some special activity to occupy our day together but there’s just not too much to do on a Thursday. This is what I am writing about on this Monday, April 27, 2009. We enjoy live theatre and there were one or two that might have worked but they started fairly late and it would have meant getting home around midnight so we vetoed them. We thought about a drive down to the coast but much of it is still under construction from Hurricane Ike and the IMAX shows there were about sharks and other topics that my wife would not have cared for. We looked at the movies in our area but nothing jumped out at us.

Finally we came up with the idea to make a day trip to go and visit the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas. I stayed in bed as long as I could but let her sleep in. Once she was up we got ready and went to a restaurant for a leisurely breakfast. She had already picked up a curio cabinet for her home redecoration project as her gift so I didn’t have that to deal with, however, I did make her a card. She received cards, calls, and emails from her children and friends wishing her a happy birthday and we were then off for our two-hour drive to visit this library. On the way there we observed the beautiful wildflowers that lined much of the highway. She wanted to stop and make photos but it was difficult to find a good place to pull off especially with the grill of an eighteen-wheeler stuck next to our back bumper at 70 miles per hour.

We arrived at the library and had a most wonderful time. She wasn’t exactly sure if she would enjoy this historically rich tribute to our 41st President but she found it to be very entertaining and informative. We spent about four hours there and she especially enjoyed the in-depth displays and artifacts from Barbara Bush’s life and times. The grounds were also beautiful and we left thinking that these people reflect much of what has made our country great. They are at the core decent folks with a heart and mind to serve and we felt proud to have visited their library. On our way back I risked being run over and stopped for a photo shoot in the bluebonnets and we also enjoyed a wonderful fish dinner in a place that specializes in fried catfish. No, it wasn’t the most exciting of things to do, but as she said, the fact that we hung out all day together made it a very memorable and special day. I couldn’t have said it better. Her sister found out that I was taking off for the occasion and sent word that I had earned extra points for doing so. That’s good news because the Lord knows I need any and all the extra points I can get! Have a great week and may God bless you and yours. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: