Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mixing it up as I make my way through the minutiae.

Have you ever thought about all the different things going on in your life on any given day? That’s what I’m trying to grab hold of on this Tuesday, April 28, 2009. Variety may be the spice of life but having it come at you from all sides at the same time, all day long, can really be challenging and you often leave the battlefield of a day of life exhausted and drained. I do love having lots of different stuff ongoing at the same time but there are times when it can get the best of anyone. Order this, check on the status on that, make contact with and follow-up on, get back to, research this, find out what happened, and these don’t include the daily emergencies and family details that come from many different places, often at the same time. This one is sick. This one has a real problem. This one needs prayer. This one needs advice. Yes, it is no wonder that folks long for a slower pace and that time when, if it ever existed, we were not so hard pressed every second of the day!

Sound familiar? I’m feeling kind of worn out just from talking about it. However, I’ve found there is a fair amount of these multifaceted activities that I just may have brought on myself. I didn’t plan very well or perhaps I procrastinated too long. Maybe when I was not doing what I should be doing I failed to appreciate what other new things that might come along to gum up the works. That’s right. A tremendous amount of being able to deal with all these simultaneous claims on our time has to do directly with being proactive instead of reactive. Most of us are not nearly as proactive as we could be because we are either lazy or easily distracted in our focus. If we would do what could be done today even though it’s not required until later, then that segment of time that it takes later would be available to help deal with all the other future stuff that will be happening.

Confession time! I’m one of the worst in the world in this area. Part of it is because I like to do things in ‘scrambles’ where I get very focused on stuff and get it done just before it has to be completed. It involves a lot of flailing and noise but it typically produces results. Much of it could have been already done but then I would miss out on the scramble. I would also most likely miss out on some of the pain I experience, and the opportunity to moan and groan about being in this pressure cooker environment all the time. Maybe I like moaning and groaning more than having a more organized and orderly approach to my efforts each day. I so much hate it when I look for faults, find them, only to have way too many of them land on my own doorstep. Of course we can take any strategy to the extreme and end up staining at gnats and swallowing camels. I’m not sure why I threw that in but it slung itself out from one of those cloudy recesses of my thinking appliance, therefore, I felt compelled to share it with you all. I give you the word for today: PROACT! Ya’ll take care now and may God bless each one. Amen. You will know it’s me again when you see me coming! ….More later.

No comments: