Friday, April 17, 2009

"If you like it, then it is perfectly fine with me!"

This past week my wife and her twin sister (born eighteen months earlier) have been together. They might as well be joined at the hip as far as how close they are. This is what I am sharing on this Friday, April 17, 2009. My wife’s sister is a gifted person with an eye for aesthetics and decorating. My wife is gifted in the area of listening to the thoughts and ideas of her sister. She is also gifted in the area of taking action based on these thoughts and ideas, which typically means, bottom line, spending money! The other day my wife called me and said they had experienced a God-thing while shopping for decorating items. I was in the middle of driving and trying to find a company and couldn’t stay on the line to hear exactly what she was talking about. But my head began spinning as I considered some of the probable things that she was calling a God-thing.

I have a simple philosophy in life about spending. If we have zero need for something, then any price, including free, is too high. The fact that something came into your possession at an unbelievably low price which may still be pretty steep but not near as steep as it could have been would not be what I would call a God-thing. But, I will await a full explanation before making a final judgment on this matter. Meanwhile, these girls have worked so hard, literally, figuratively, and in every way in-between. They have been up early each day painting, shopping, painting some more, shopping some more, then up late at night decorating, changing, re-positioning, and then changing the changes they made. The stuff they are doing looks really good but while I think I have an eye for beauty; I really don’t have any strong preferences when it comes to my home being decorated.

To put this into a frame of reference let me just say that since the reconstruction project I have enjoyed all the bare walls. They are clean, crisp, and without any dust catching clutter. But that is me. When I get back into my office, hopefully soon, I will likely plaster as wallpaper on my walls the dozens of paintings and papers from my grandchildren accumulated over the past twenty plus years. That kind of clutter I can live with. This only proves up the case that men typically don’t have a clue on issues like interior decorating. At the same time I appreciate all their hard work. I certainly appreciate my sister-in-law coming over to help my wife. It has been a great week for them. Their sister connection is a model for what it means to be close. However, when they show me around I know I am supposed to be as excited and impressed as they are. And, while I think it all looks very pretty, my honest assessment remains: “If it makes you happy then it is perfectly fine with me.” Say a prayer that I will still be thinking this way when all the bills are accounted for! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: