Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's time to change the subject again since the last time I tried to do so but failed!

I know some of you may have thought by now that I would have thrown in the towel on this blogging activity, but in many ways it gives me an opportunity to blow off steam. Too much steam can also bring on an explosion, and that’s what I am trying to avoid on this Thursday, April 2, 2009. One could easily become distraught over the lack of understanding of our citizenry regarding the huge blocks of freedom being whittled away in the name of economic recovery. About the time I think folks are beginning to wake up the polls tell us that Americans will buy into anything to get their paychecks rolling again. That ‘anything’ could be disastrous BUT for me to continue to be apoplectic about it doesn’t do anyone any good, especially me. That’s why I’m trying to turn off the faucet of angst, (or, at least turn it down some) since it has been wide open since the first days of this new administration. While I do not advocate a head in the sand approach we do need to refocus our thinking from time to time on something more pleasant and at the least, less distressing.

Therefore, today I want to once again try to change the subject. I went over to our inner city Bible club meeting Tuesday evening. I saw on the local news an account of a huge traffic pile up between my home and our meeting place so I called Bro. Kim to see what he thought about me trying to make it. We talked for a minute and he told me that he was going to pray that God would open a way for me to make it. Okay. I was thinking that he might say why don’t you stay home but how could I not try whenever he said what he did? I arrived about twenty minutes after the start of game time because of the slowed traffic. I had prayed that God would allow us the means and opportunity to minister to these needy children. However, as it so often happens, they mobbed me and I ended up with a feeling of being so blessed it brought a tear to my eye.

No doubt their parents, mostly moms and grandmothers, are feeling the pinch of the current economic downturn more than most. These kids would by association suffer as a result. But for 90 minutes they get to escape. Escape from the recent murder of an eighteen-year-old drug runner who lived and was killed smack dab in the middle of the apartment complex where most of these children live. Escape from the gang activity and vulgar world that surrounds them on the playground. Escape from all those things into a world where they are genuinely loved, shown the love of God through His Son, and given the truth that can change their lives forever. It is an escape for them and it turns out to be an escape for me as well from all those other issues that somehow become less important as I hug away the tears of a young black boy who feels helpless and hopeless in the world he lives in. Now that’s what I call changing the subject, big time. Thank you Lord! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: