Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Don't know where I am going or why but I do know I have no time to waste!

Today is the 109th anniversary of my grandfather's birth date. He left this life back in 1971 but left a legacy behind that continues to live on today. He was a simple man of faith and integrity and I pause today to give thanks to God for my Paw Paw Mac!

Good morning. Want to join me here on the porch and sit awhile? I am remembering those porch visit days here on a Wednesday, April 29, 2009. Yesterday I mentioned those days gone by where things were a little slower and certainly much less hectic. While we are not that old we can well remember the days when television, cellphones, personal computers and ipods did not dominate our lives. We were blessed to grow up in a world where neighbors knew each other and often dropped by to visit. People had no qualms about driving over for a visit on a Saturday. If we were gone for some reason they would just find someone else to visit or hang around until we returned. My how things have changed! The thought of people just dropping by for a visit today sends shockwaves through most of us. We would need to have everything prepared, the house would need to be cleaned and straightened, a plan for snacks or a meal would have to be made ready, and we would have to do that all important clearing of our schedule before we could ever even think about having someone drop by for an unexpected visit.

If you are that way today, you are not alone because most of us have grown into this mode of operation. I can remember one particular fellow from way back who loved to come by and visit my wife and I. He would stay and stay. We enjoyed talking, drinking coffee, and talking some more. He was a fellow who got up to leave many times before he actually left. And, even then it would maybe take thirty minutes on his way to his car and leaning on his car door before his time of visit was over. While we used to laugh about how he operated we never really thought his stopping by was a big problem. There were times when we had other things we needed to do but typically most things somehow could be put on hold. Today most of us live with a ticking daytimer in our head as to the what, when, and where we have on our agenda for every hour of the day. Much too often we operate in overload mode to the extent that just keeping up with the schedules can become the driving force in our life.

Let me be clear. I'm a huge user of all the technologies mentioned above except for the ipod and even others not mentioned. Instant communications allows us to stay on top of just about anything and everything. The problem with this wonderful beneficial tool is that often we can't distinguish between things of importance and end up by habit being totally immersed in communications without regard to priority, need, or how it affects other things and other people. We've heard the news every second of every minute all day long but when we get home we don't have time to have a conversation because we need to watch the news. What's up with that? A few weeks ago all our gang were in our home for a time of celebration. I think it was Resurrection Sunday. Later on in the afternoon most of the nearly twenty of us migrated and found a place to sit and visit outside in the yard. Several times I was in and out to check on kids or something and each time I came back outside I greatly enjoyed hearing all that chatter and seeing the sheer pleasure of people doing nothing more than visiting with one another and it reminded me of how it used to be, at least on a much more frequent basis. Maybe we should all make a huge mental note in our internal ticking daytimer to have more times where we can enjoy a visit like that, maybe even out on the front porch! Have a great day and may God bless! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: