Monday, April 6, 2009

Off to a weaving start!

Today is Monday April 6, 2009 and guess what we are expecting here tonight? An overnight temperature near freezing! I had a fan going last night up against the window with it open and let me just say it reminded me of those good sleeping nights as a kid that I enjoyed when we were living with my grandparents. I've commented before about how tough that cold linoleum rug can be on your feet in a room where they nearly stick from it being so cold. But when you get under those covers and get yourself all warmed up, if there is any better sleeping in the world I don't know where or how it could be! This is Resurrection week and we always tend to have a dip in our temps during this time but to be close to freezing after nearly hitting ninety over the past several weeks, well it is a wonderful blessing especially for those of us who tend to enjoy the cooler weather. I may not be able to stand the cold like I did as a kid playing freeze out in a car speeding down the highway with all the windows down in frigid weather, but there's still enough of that enjoyment gene somewhere in my system that makes me feel ten times better as I start out my day. I know I should put up my disclaimer about all those who suffer from the opposite situation. They would rather have it hot twenty four by seven and typically don't do well at all in the cold. For them, I apologize for enjoying the brisk cool wind that greeted me this morning but I am so looking forward to what most likely will be our last cool down before our legendary summer melt down begins.

People from regions where they grew up being snowed and iced in for days tell me that if I had experienced that as a kid I would most likely view the cold quite differently. They may be 100% correct but since I didn't have their experience and ended up with the ones that God gave to me I'll just take what I have and run with it. I do remember some iced over days that were not that pleasant when the pipes would freeze and the electricity would be out but I tend to remember that we kept a fire going in the fireplace and spent quite a bit of time in bed, just waiting the cold out. At any rate we are off to a brand new work week and God has been good to us to allow us to enjoy the blessings He has given. Here I am talking about the cold but on Saturday it was very warm and I spent most of the day outside doing this and that. Our three year old came over and helped me wash my car. Alex does enjoy using that water hose. He stayed with me until we finished the job. He ended up rinsing some of just about everything he could reach from trees to the garage doors but he had a ball and I had a wonderful time with him.

Yesterday we all met at our eldest son's home to celebrate his eldest daughter's birthday which makes for us our first 21 year old grandchild. April 5, 1988 was a hugely significant day in our lives as we welcomed Tiffany to our family. Ever since then that particular day has become important to us in our lives. She grew up being a Poppy girl until that teenager thing happened and she became a MiMi girl. But regardless of that she will always be our number one. We pray for all of our children and grandchildren every day. We often call each one by name because we know that without God and His provision and protection all of us would be without hope. When I left you Friday I was in a thankful mood. Since then I have enjoyed the company of several of our kids on Saturday along with their kids. I was able to teach a Bible lesson on Sunday, enjoy a great worship time, and see all my boys and their families for Tiffany's birthday. When we left to go to our eldest son's home which is about a forty five minute drive we encountered all kinds of traffic delays. This was mostly from several mega Churches letting out and they had police there to assist their departures. My son called me and said everyone was there but us and this made me even more frustrated. I was mostly joking but complaining out loud about all the delays when my wife reminded me that I should not complain about people who had spent their morning serving God and meeting with other believers. She was right and I had to change my attitude to one of gratitude while I weaved my way in and out of the fray. And, that's what I am going to try to do this week. That is to maintain an attitude of gratitude as I weave my way in and out of this brand new work week! May God bless. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: