Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Speaking about appearance.

I am very blessed to have folks around me that really do care about the way I present myself. My mom mentions it from time to time and my wife is always wanting me to get a haircut or wear nicer clothes or in general for me to make a little better statement in my appearance. These are the thoughts that occupy my head and will now make their journey to the electronic page on this Tuesday, April 21, 2009. I kind of like to dress down on Saturdays as I piddle here and there but I don’t always take the time to dress up when I need to run to the store or perhaps go inside the mall. My wife typically has something like this to say: “You aren’t going anywhere looking like that, are you?” The obvious answer is I was planning on doing just that but I often do try and tuck in my shirt, perhaps put on a clean cap, and spruce myself up a bit. That works to a point but when I’m wearing ten year old jeans that are two sizes too large and I could also put a couple of other guys in my shirt, well, that just doesn’t quite do it for her.

Some of the older shirts I have, say, twenty years or so, have patiently waited for their turn and I am not one who wishes to show discrimination on the basis of age, size, and certainly not style! Of course there are a number of shirts I have that have lain dormant for years because I fought my own battle of the bulge and lost and they suffered as a result. Coming back to them now is like a reunion of sorts even if they are a little faded and collars no longer look that way. I know they may look a little out of place but I get the idea they are real happy when their turn finally comes. In addition to this, our youngest always passes down his previous fashion trends and because of this I have all kinds of clothes to choose from. But some of the older clothes are like old friends and you just feel better hanging out with them.

As for the face situation there’s not much that can be done about it at this late date. (If there were a car-facts service for faces, my wear and tear would be way over the mileage limit!) You can go back to yesterday’s blog and read about the ravages of time and gravity for an expanded explanation of how this came about but my mom has always wanted each of us to look as good as we can. That’s why I will soon be updating my blog photo so that each morning a ‘new and improved’ me will greet you as you peruse my latest installment of noisy news that has little to do with anything of importance. I suppose doing your best with what has been given to you is like what I heard Dr. Adrian Rogers say about women and makeup: “Some folks are against wearing make up for spiritual reasons but I believe common sense tells us that even an old barn needs a coat of paint now and then.” I can remember at one time when I had a little more inclination towards the "dress for success" approach but that was a long time ago in what seems now to have been in a galaxy far, far away. However, having written about it now I suppose I should try to be a little more presentable as I engage the world going forward. I know some of you are smiling as you read this and I want you to know its okay as long as you are laughing with me, not at me! May God bless! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: