Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The torch has been passed!

Today is Wednesday, January 21, 2009 and we have only the remainder of this day and ten more to finish out the month. You no doubt learned the rhyme in grade school that helped you remember the number of days in each month. That rhyme has been traced back to the 1500’s with this as a literal interpretation of the oldest copy: “Thirty days has November, April, June, and September: Of twenty eight is but one, And all the rest are thirty one. Of course Leap year comes and stays, Every four years got it right, And twenty eight is twenty nine.” This differs somewhat from how I learned it but I can recall how it did come in handy when it came time to be tested on all things related to the calendar. At any rate, it helps us to appreciate the days that have been given to us and to seriously consider how quickly they tend to slip away from us.

I thought President Obama’s inauguration speech was very good. His speechwriters seemed to strike the right tone by integrating specific examples of the past greatness of America in meeting challenges and associating them with the many that we face today. I thought Pastor Rick Warren’s prayer of invocation was good. I loved Aretha Franklin’s stylistic presentation of that standard we first learned as youngsters, “My Country tis of thee.” I also loved the classical piece performed by those renowned artists. We also witnessed one of the smartest jurists ever to sit on the Supreme Court, Chief Justice John Roberts flub the 35 word oath of office and mix up the President being sworn in before a worldwide audience in the tens of millions. I was also very moved by the benediction prayer voiced by Dr. Lowery who stirred the hearts of all present on that cold and blustery day. I also salute our former president George W. Bush and I pray that he and his family will enjoy a well-deserved time of rest, reflection, and relaxation. (I enjoyed it all but never forget that we as Amercians have the right to disagree with those who would lead our country away from the bedrock principles we hold dear.)

I understand, according to polls, that an overwhelming majority of Americans are optimistic about the new president’s potential for being able to fix many of the problems that plague us at this time. A record 84% have a positive view of his work thus far during the transition of power. This leaves only 16% who view it differently. I guess I am in the 16% because I really wouldn’t know how to respond to a poll with this type of question. It’s not that I have a negative response per se, but rather, I have a “wait and see” attitude about this new administration and all that lies ahead. In the end, I can be and am optimistic about the truth that God was God before yesterday’s great festivities and He remains God today. I am also sure that we can hold on to the absolute truth that He will be God forever and ever, Amen. I vote my 100% in favor of this truth as we all seek to find our way forward. Have a great day, a great month, and may we find this year’s calendar stuffed full of opportunities for us to serve God by serving others! ….More later.

No comments: