Friday, January 16, 2009

It's TGTN: "There goes the neighborhood!"

Hello again on the last Friday, January 16, 2009, before inauguration day next Tuesday. Excuse me but I can’t help but share one small soapbox commentary. I know I sound like a broken record and I do know how those old records used to skip over and over again when there was a crack, but has anyone else noticed how that President Bush’s inauguration cost less than $50 million and the press went absolutely berserk, but Obama’s will easily be over $150 million and thus far the mainstream press thinks it only appropriate? Bush was screamed at in the newspapers and on broadcast after broadcast for his total lack of propriety, sensitivity, and how his $42 million was an absurd insult to people who were struggling as well as a slap in the face to any sense of restraint or balance. It was deemed to be scandalous, embarrassing, and sheer arrogance! But my, oh, my, what a difference four years make! Over three times the cost but now it’s because of inflation, the huge crowds expected, and other factors unforeseen in crowning the ‘chosen’ one. This is not sour grapes on my part because I’m not sure $42 million was the right number but I can certainly tell you that even where I come from, $150 million would be even more not the right number! That was a freebie you didn’t even ask for and I will not ask you to pay anything for it as well. But, the Bush bash was paid for with donated, private funding but the Obama bash is seeking emergency funding from Congress to help defray these extraordinary costs. Talk about bailouts!

Okay enough of that pugnacious punditry on a Friday when we should be focused on more positive and uplifting subjects. Our dear Brother Milton is doing so much better, especially over the past few days. He has now been moved out of the ICU at the rehab center and into a regular room. He is making much progress as they deal with getting his strength back and working to improve his motor skills. One doctor said that if he continues on this track, he might be able to leave the rehab center within the next two weeks. Can you believe that? What a mighty God we serve and oh how we give Him praise for His help and intervention in this situation. My wife sent me a note about my yesterday’s blog where I talked about becoming more serious in our attempts to fulfill God’s calling in 2009. She said she thought it was very well stated and to the point but it had made her feel guilty. My response? Welcome to the club! Always remember that when I write about stuff that encourages us to get up and do more for our Lord, I am always the first one to hear it, and I am always the first in line in terms of needing it!

Our teacher last Wednesday evening at Bible study presented a character that we know very little about. His name is Enoch and is mentioned only briefly three times in The Scriptures. We know nothing about him in terms of great deeds done for the Lord. His life is not unfolded like that of Noah, Abraham, Moses, or David. He was a man known for his faith and for his walking with God. That’s pretty much it! He was a man of faith, he spoke forth some truths concerning the return of the Lord in the future, and he had a fellowship with his Lord referred to as walking with Him. As a result the Scriptures tell us he was taken by the Lord. Taken. Translated. This means he didn’t taste death but was caught up into heaven to be with the Lord. No great exploits that we know about. Just a man who believed God, did his best to live his life accordingly, and was faithful in the life God had given to him. You can read about it in Genesis 5, Hebrews 11, and the Book of Jude. This account should encourage us to see how God weighs our heart and how we respond to Him with the life He has given, not in whether we do some great or mighty deed. This also means there’s still hope for us all, including me! Amen. Have a great Saturday and Lord’s Day Sunday! ….More later.

No comments: