Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Thank you, Lord, I really needed that!"

We are still able to get up and go on this Wednesday, January 7, 2009. I do hope you and yours are well since I do know there's quite a lot of illness floating around. Last night I was able to attend our regular Bible club meeting for our inner city children's ministry program. Wow! It was wonderful to see these kids and while I did not go anticipating such a rousing welcome, it sure helped my heart, mind, and soul to have been mobbed, applauded, and genuinely loved by these little ones. My attendance over the past several months has been very spotty with all the upheaval and turmoil we've been chasing. But last night will stand out as one of those special times when God seems to orchestrate a very special handful of blessings given on purpose. When I came to the front of the club to lead our special song and cheer, Bro. Kim welcomed me back and informed the kids about us finally being back in our home and how our Bro. Milton had been progressing and getting stronger each day. What happened next is one of those thrilling moments in life. These little guys literally erupted with shouts and applause and the sincerity of their recognition and welcome is something I will always treasure. "Thank you, Lord, you knew how much I needed a little pick me up!"

I was also reunited with our fellow workers, Bro. Ted and Sister Florence who actually started the club program. We've known this couple for more than twenty years and have labored along side them in this program for more than twelve. Bro. Kim and his family who lead the local mission there are very special folks in my life. Bro. Kim is another one of those ministers who you can summarize by saying: "He's the real deal!" Perhaps that's why he and Bro. Milton were so drawn to each other when Bro. Milton attended with me back in October. They are both genuine men of God and they both wear their testimony for Jesus on their sleeve, in their heart, and in their witness. Bro. Kim's folks are also very special people. Sister Sue has been with the mission effort there since the beginning and she has loved on hundreds of children as only a mother and grandmother can do for all these years. Bro. Arthur, Bro. Elliot, Sister Shemeeka, and Sister Tiffany are also tireless workers who put together skits and lessons each week for these who are "precious in His sight." Most of Bro. Kim's people deal with more troubles each day than one could count. However, they come, they love the Lord, and they show that love by loving these children and sharing with them the life changing message of the Gospel.

Yes, I knew that I was loved by the children there before I ever arrived and some might think I go because of this. While some of this might be true one would have to know the way the bad nights go and how we've done our best to keep on keeping on even in those times when it wasn't so pleasant. You have no doubt heard me say how I would have been the last person to have thought this type of ministry effort would end up being such a blessing in my life. All of those years ago I happened to go one night just to check it out. Why? To be honest, I was feeling somewhat conflicted because of doing so little 'hands on' in touching the lives of others. When I first came it was like a zoo but something happened and I became hooked. Hopefully hooked by the Fisher of Men because I am the one who has been blessed through this outreach. Bro. Kim and I became close and have remained close throughout these years. He is a man of God who does his very best with God's help to live life, lead his family, and his congregation, to do it by The Book. Last night was one of those occasions where I couldn't help but think how privileged I am to be loved by these who have no pretensions or games to play. These little guys had been praying for us to be able to return to our home. They had been praying for our Bro. Milton. They had been missing me being there. Once again: "Thank you, Lord, I really needed that!" Have a great day and may God lead each of us in finding a way to help someone in need before we lay our head on our pillow tonight! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: