Thursday, January 29, 2009

At one time it would have never fazed me!

Good morning and welcome to Thursday, January 29, 2009. The last two days presented me with the unexpected opportunity to drive into and completely across the downtown corridor of the huge nearby metroplex during peak rush hour traffic. I had commuted into this monstrosity for nearly 24 years but left that world behind me back in the Spring of 1993. Okay, I was 47 years old when that major change took place and the population then was around 3.5 million. I am now 62 and the population has grown to 5.6 million. Therefore, we have lots of factors at work in me traversing across the metro area to the destination I had to reach and return from, two days in a row. One thing is very clear: The old gray man (mare) is not what he/she used to be!

Here’s one thing I can speak to without any reservation: For the most part, the road system, once you reach the downtown area, has changed very little in these 15 plus years. BUT: While I am not a statistician or the son of a statistician, you can only guess how many more automobiles have been added to the mix over this same period of time. I’m not saying there are not additional fringe roadways, toll roads, and other suburban access expansions, but once you get inside the loop as we call it, you have a most wonderful expression of that dreaded description: GRIDLOCK. What a mess! What a challenge! The entire trip there and back seemed to be one long series of near misses. You would have to be there to see what I am talking about but suffice it to say the ingredients for mayhem and road rage are in plentiful supply.

Okay. Having said all that, let me now go ahead and admit that adding 15 years to my age makes the entire experience much more daunting. You will recall that back in October I was rear-ended by an out of control truck while trying to make a delivery for our company. Last month I was side swiped by a young lady who felt compelled to take my position on a freeway feeder lane. She was very apologetic that day but later recanted and changed her entire story, so what was once a clear case of liability on her part is now a stalemate between our insurance companies. My guess is that her husband helped her reestablish the facts as they must have happened. At any rate, I carry these most recent unhappy experiences into my driving excursions while folks dart in, dart out, pull over in front, crowd me, and do just about whatever they feel like doing for the 90 minutes one way (a little over 40 miles) required to reach my destination. That 90 minutes both days included at least 30 minutes of bumper to bumper as a result of congestion brought on by fender benders. Maybe my two recent accidents neither of which were my fault that I had no control over weigh too heavily on my mind. Perhaps my nerve and my motor skills are not what they used to be. Whatever, I can sure tell you that I am so very thankful that I don’t have to do this everyday like I once did, (my boys are out there in it every single day) and will be perfectly happy if I don’t have to do it again, anytime soon. Talk about exhausting! Oh well, we do what we are called on to do! I know the Bible has a description for those who refuse to hear what God has to say: Stiff necked. After these two motor car trips I have the stiffness in my neck, hopefully, from the stress of the ride from and to, not based on the Bible definition! It's supposed to be a joke. Maybe it's lame but what would you expect from a stiff necked, stressed out driver? May God bless. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: