Monday, November 10, 2008

You always feel better when it quits hurting!

Well, just how are you anyway on this Monday, November 10, 2008? For me it's one of those very slow starts. Maybe it was the ten hours I was on the roof Saturday tearing off old shingles or the long day we had Sunday enjoying family, friends, fellowship, and most importantly, meeting with God. Whatever it is, the good, the tough, the exciting, and the rather routine, it all adds up at times to being a S L O W start, and I entertained just a hint of that 'wish I could stay in bed' feeling. However, we are not called on to get up and go just when we are feeling our very best but we have to learn to do it anyway even if we don't feel up to it. Growing up I often heard this idiom when someone was describing how they were dragging: "I feel like I've been pulled through a rat hole backwards." I never really knew exactly what that meant but for word pictures, I can see where I might fit that description this morning. The good news is that while I may be struggling a little to get all the cylinders firing this morning, there are some things we can always count on, regardless of our feelings, our situations, or even our altitude on days when we have trouble getting things going and off the ground.

Our God is at work. He never sleeps and He is always there. He can be counted on to care. He showed how much He cared by sending His one and only Son to die for our sins. He has invited us to come to Him whenever we have needs, any need, any size, and at anytime, 24 hours a day. Perhaps knowing these things to be true is what allows us to get up and go even when we would just rather not. I've also found in my experience that if you are a little weary and you go anyway, things tend to get better later if you just keep at it, and, you can always throw in the towel later if that's what needs to be done. Bone weary and brain dead is how I felt Saturday night when I was trying to do my lesson handout for my Sunday class. I always do my best to do that type of work early in the morning because that's my 'prime' time. But we had company in the house and I've been known to attack the keyboard which makes it a little on the noisy side, therefore, I decided to wait. It was as if the keyboard had become extremely stiff and the words oozed out of my mind and barely made it to my fingertips. Fortunately I had made notes earlier in the week and was able to consult with them or I may have had to call it off and take a pass for that Sunday.

Reality, don't you love it? Nevertheless, we had a wonderful Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we had a family workday where my wife's eldest brother came from Louisiana to do his thing with the electrical situation in our house. He worked all day long and was exhausted from it as he has to battle fatigue which has come to him after an extended bout with prostate cancer. Our damaged house was built in the early 1970's, therefore, they did not anticipate the electrical requirements of the modern computer world we live in. He couldn't fix every problem but he did much to alleviate the stress on many circuits and improve the safety and function of our entire electrical system. Thank you Cleon! My wife's sister came with him and you know the story of these two girls, right? They are the twins born 18 months apart and they spent the day cleaning up messes, running errands, and staying with it all day long. Thank you Dorothy! Our eldest son was there to reroute much of the kitchen plumbing since it too was outdated and in the way of the new design being planned. He put in a full day as well. Thank you Chris! Of course my wife's other brother, Milton, and his son Byron, are there leading the restoration work and they also worked tirelessly and the progress we made was wonderful. Thanks to Milton and Byron! Also, folks in our Church have been bringing food for the past two weeks to show love and support to us and this project. Saturday evening one of the families came over and prepared a huge fish fry with all the trimmings and we were knocked down by their hard work on our behalf and just how delicious it all was after a long day of labor. I think writing about all of this has caused me to have a little bit of a happy spell and suddenly I don't feel as tired as I did and may even be ready to get up and go with a little of my trademarked fire and determination. I told you it often works when you stop and take the time to count your blessings! Have a great day and a great week, and you can be sure of having both if you always give God the glory for it all! Amen. .......More later.

No comments: