Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm thankful for the seesaw of life!

Today is Tuesday November 4, 2008, election day here in the land of the free and home of the brave. We've pretty much heard all that needs to be said and we certainly have enough information to base our vote on. Now is the time for us to get up and go to the polls and do what our heart and mind tells us is best for our country, today and over the next four or more years. That's all very serious stuff but let me just change the subject to let everyone know that I did get to see seven of my grandchildren over this past weekend. Had you been around me before those special times of refreshing with the grand kids you might just have thought that Poppy was beginning to become a little grumpy. But after Saturday having spent time with Jimmy Jr., Alesha, Amanda, and Alex and after spending time with Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady on Sunday, I became happy again. Sorry, but the truth is the truth. Unfortunately, Monday came around and rained on my parade with the weight of the world again leaving me with a confused identity that may be a combination of all of the above subject to change at any moment.

But I can fall back on those incredible minutes spent enjoying these children that are so special to me. Saturday evening I agreed to keep our middle son's kiddos while he and our daughter-in-law had a date night. I had put in a long day at the damaged house but was ready for some rest and recreation. I carried the four of them to the local mall and we had a ball. Needless to say, I was already tired and their energy levels were much higher than mine but we had a great time together. We visited their MiMi who was working at her store. We went and saw the animals at the pet store and they are all committed pet lovers. We looked at birds, rabbits, mice, snakes, dogs, cats, ferrets, turtles, lizards, and no doubt many others. Then we went to the food court and had a meal together. Next we went to the indoor playground and spent some time there. We finished there, went by and said goodnight to MiMi, and then returned to our home until their parents were home. When I got close to the bed that night my legs were wobbly but my heart was full. They had been a handful and then some but what a great time we had together.

Sunday, after attending worship services, we drove about 30 miles to meet our youngest son and his family for lunch. It had been over two months since we had seen them and it was a wonderful reunion. Little Brady is still doing his best impression of a bull in a china shop. Lexie is busy being our forever funny girl with a winsome personality that's nothing short of remarkable. Our Kyleigh is like a young beauty queen just waiting to be introduced for her victory walk. What a time we had together during which I didn't have to worry about deadlines and schedules, insurance issues and contractors, or pretty much anything else. It was a great couple of hours but as they say all good things must come to an end so we did our hugs and kisses and made our way back to our damaged home. We had previously set a time for the man who does our yard to come and get some appliances we are discarding. I had made it clear to him to make certain he brought help with him because we had a double door refrigerator, a chest freezer, and a very heavy table for him to take with him. He showed up with his wife and eleven year old daughter. Therefore, he and I loaded up these items on the back of his pickup truck. I wouldn't have thought we could have, but we did. I think I did enough grunting for both of us and that would have made my grandfather proud since he used to tell me when we were crosscutting logs that he would grunt enough for the both of us. I could do much worse than turn into a man like him! Have a blessed day and remember this election outcome is ultimately in God's hands, so try not to fret over it. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: