Monday, November 17, 2008

HAPPY MONDAY!

Welcome to a brand new work week and may God grant us all a good day on this Monday, November 17, 2008. We had a very early cool down for this time of year over the weekend. On Sunday morning I had real ice on my windshield. Not frost. Real ice. My windshield wipers were squealing like a distressed pig and I finally had to sit there until the defroster warmed up enough to melt it. A neighbor living close by to where we are staying said his thermometer read 29 degrees. Wow! That's getting close to a definition of cold no matter how you look at it. It had been a windy cool day on Saturday with wind gusts over 30 miles per hour. The wind chill was pretty stiff late Saturday afternoon as I fought it to get plastic over the plants over at our damaged house. My eldest son and I had worked there most of the day. My middle son had come by with his four kids to give us some advice about phone wiring and coax cabling to support computing and telecommunications once we get back in our home. My eldest son inherited my resilience to cold. He was wearing a short sleeved shirt and cut offs. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, jeans, and a jacket. He teased that I must be practicing for when it was going to get cold. Now wait just a cotton picking minute. That's my line. Or, that once was my line. I used to be the one making all the jokes about other people being cold. Now with all the medications, chemical changes, and whatever else is going on in the old man's body, I'm not mister hot natured anymore. I had read a little recently on why boomerangs come back but I think on Saturday I got an up close demonstration of how it works right back in my face!

But this morning it's 38 degrees and we have this beautiful clear and crisp view of all the stars. Out here in the country where I work there are days when you feel like you could reach up and touch one of them. No wonder the Scripture proclaims how the heavens declare God's glory! My playing freeze out days may be long gone but my ability to be struck in awe of God's glory remains. The economy may be in the tank and stress levels may be working on overdrive but God and His faithfulness is the constant we can count on. Our time spent with other brothers and sisters on Sunday, the Lord's day, was an opportunity to see God at work as we shared with one another, prayed for one another, and studied together in seeking to hear from our heavenly Father. Yes, He does inhabit the praise of His people and what a joy it is to feel His presence when among His children. My wife was able to attend morning Bible study but then had to leave for work at the local mall. She called and gave me her time for lunch and I made special arrangements to bring her favorite pizza as a surprise. I had it all timed down to the minute in fetching the pizza and getting there exactly at the right time so it would still be hot and fresh. BUT, the folks out in our area haven't heard about the recession and the parking lots were full, AND, she works retail and was running 20 minutes late. We still enjoyed it even though it was only slightly warm but she was surprised and pleased, and, after all, that was the point.

As I sat there at the food court waiting on her I observed how that people were hustling and bustling all around me. It was 2 p.m. in the afternoon and hardly anywhere to sit. Everyone was hurrying here and there, some with packages and others on a dead run to get to wherever they needed to go. It was like being in the middle of grand central station. Grand central station has become a metaphor for busy traffic and it has its roots in reference to the central railway station in New York city. I heard it all my life growing up and for the most part I doubt seriously those using it had ever been or even knew it had something to do with New York. However, it was always used to indicate busy and hurried activity especially where people are going in all directions at the same time. As I sat there seeing those people, all so different, all headed here and there, it reminded me how that God loves each and every one. The short, the tall, the beautiful, the ugly, the red, brown, yellow, black and white, He loves them all and sent His one and only Son to die in order that each one might live with Him forever. The children sing: "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red, brown, yellow, black, or white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world." He also loves those who are hot natured and those who are cold natured and even those who end up having to switch and I am so glad He does! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: