Thursday, November 15, 2007

We May Never Pass This Way Again!

My wife’s brother and his wife were in the area this week because he was preaching in revival services nearby. Bro. Milton and I go way back. He surrendered to God’s calling to preach the same year my wife and I were married. We became his first wedding. This was in December of 1964. I’m not sure who was more nervous, he or I, but we made it through it and now he likes to tell people that he must have tied the knot really good because it’s still holding. Well, our response is that it’s still holding only by the grace of God but we love and appreciate this great couple.



Bro. Milton has been in the ministry now for nearly forty four years and he still keeps a busy schedule preaching all over the United Sates. I know the only man in the Bible called “a man after God’s own heart”, was King David, but I’ve often said this same thing about Milton. He has been a champion in the race God has given him to run. Today he’s plagued with a number of health issues but seeks to serve God faithfully until that day when he takes his flight to his real home.

My wife and I met them for lunch yesterday and it was a wonderful time. Unfortunately, the first twenty minutes were spent catching each other up on all the body parts that are suspect or causing us trouble. I thought to myself they might as well bring four bottles of glucose and hook us up! We had a great time bringing each other up to date on our families. They shared stuff about their two sons and all that’s happening in their families. And, of course we were more than willing to talk about our clan and all that is going on in our world. It was a special time and one that we will treasure.


It reminded me of a song I learned at a music school I went to back in 1968. The small Church we attended wanted me to be the song leader, so they paid for me to attend this school. I was able to take my vacation along with some unpaid leave to attend this four week training program. It was quite an amazing experience. We stayed in dormitories and did maybe 8 to 10 hours of music each day. We took theory, composition, voice, music directing, and other assorted types of skill development. The man who ran the school was named Videt Polk. He was a great believer in teaching people to sing well. He authored hundreds of songs but is best known for helping write the chorus, God Is So Good. As we sat visiting with Bro. Milton and his wife, the song I learned at that symposium came back to me. It was entitled, “I May Never Pass This Way Again”. The song talks about doing those things now that are important because we may not have an opportunity to do so again. I know some might wonder if I went to an official school like that why I'm not better at music but that's a story that will have to wait for another day.

To be honest, I have way too many things I wished I had taken the time to do in my many years here on this planet. Some things that did, in fact, become the last opportunity and I missed it. While I was somewhat stressed about taking the time out of my schedule to meet them for lunch, in the end I concluded that the four of us are not getting any younger and I wanted to make sure we had at least a couple of hours to visit and fellowship. That we did! We laughed, and remembered old times, and we shared how God had blessed us all along the way. When we parted we hugged and left knowing we had just enjoyed a blessing from above.

Recently we had our wonderful native missionary in from the Philippines to visit the states for several months. He has a daughter in Michigan and he has many friends and Churches that love and support him. Our Church has been his main sponsor for over twenty years. He and I have known each other from our connections through the mission projects we’ve helped fund and I did meet him about ten years ago when he was here taking classes at the seminary. But this time when we met it was very special. He somehow communicated to me and I tried to communicate to him a mutual love and respect for the work and ministry God has allowed us to share. When he left, I told him if we don’t meet again here that I would see him at the house, up there! I wasn’t sure he caught the meaning but I knew he did when he said, “Yes, brother, how true, if not here, see you on the other side”.

This was the feeling I had when we finished our great meal together and said our farewells to our Bro. Milton and his sweet wife, Glenda. We don’t know what may happen tomorrow but we do know Who holds tomorrow and where we will all be together someday, forever and ever, amen. ….More later.

No comments: