Monday, November 12, 2007

Last Week Through The Rearview Mirror

You wonder sometimes where the time goes. We had a great day Sunday, November 4, a full day with all the Church related activities, but a good day. I was up and going early Monday morning and had a busy Monday at work logging some thirteen hours. Monday evening I was able to chill out and essentially not be busy doing very much, however, I think I was in bed by 9 p.m.


Tuesday was the same early start between 3:30 to 4:00 a.m., and I was off to the races. We had a very busy Tuesday and I leave on Tuesday evenings to go directly to our inner city ministry program. We have game time for the children where they compete to see who will be the night’s best team. We then have songs, cheers, a Bible lesson, a time of learning a memory verse, then a time of counseling for those who indicate a need, we give out awards, have a closing prayer, and then hand out candy including a special treat for the overall winning team. The program starts at 6:30 p.m. so I am usually home by 8:45 p.m. Once home, I grabbed a snack and took my handful of meds and it was back to bed to begin the cycle all over again.

On Wednesday we have our mid-week Bible study class at our Church and its always good to join fellow believers and share prayer requests and spend time in God’s word. I typically leave work and go directly to the Church property and the service begins at 7 p.m. We had a great night and the person speaking talked about how that in the Bible, thanks, praise, and singing show up together in many verses. His thought was that our being thankful should lead us to giving out praises to God and one of the great ways to do that is through singing, both public and private. Another good day completed.

On Thursday we had another active day and my wife was busy preparing for her foot surgery scheduled for Friday. Thursday evening I again went into the metro area to attend a revival service at the African American mission where we do the inner city program. Now these folks are not limited by time or schedule. The service was supposed to start at 6 p.m., but actually they were about fifteen minutes late in getting things going. We finished up there about 8:30 and I headed back home which is about a 30 to 45 minute drive. I will confess that it was 30 minutes or less that night because I was tired and my foot was heavy, but please don’t tell my nephew-in-law because he is a state trooper. I felt a little odd driving like the people I usually dodge each week. I was pretty much spent that evening and got into bed and was already into the rapid eye movement whenever the phone rang. It was after 10 p.m. Who in the world would be calling that late? It was my mom wanting to make sure that I was going to take good care of my wife in view of her surgery. “Okay mom, your little boy will make sure he takes care of his wife”. When I told this story Sunday in my Bible study class several of the ladies commented that they were glad she did call and jack me up. They said she did it because she probably knew I needed it! Sixty plus years and I’m still catching heat!

On Friday I was up very early and to work early knowing I would be leaving to take my wife in for her surgery. I left around 8:30 a.m., fetched her, carried her to the hospital, and then hung out there until her surgery was done. While waiting I had my Bible and notebook and wrote a dozen pages of notes for my lesson on Sunday. Once she was out of recovery I loaded her up and brought her home. She was pretty much out of it for the rest of the afternoon but in some pain later on that evening. The doctor said everything went well with no complications, therefore, we are very thankful to God and thank everyone who said a prayer for her. Not because my mom called, but I did do my best to wait on her hand and foot, so to speak, no pun intended.

Saturday morning I was up early and upstairs working on my lesson handouts for Sunday. Our middle son and his four children brought doughnuts and kolaches over for breakfast. It was good to see them and to spend time with our grand kids. Once little Alex saw that his MiMi was damaged goods he decided maybe Poppy wasn’t such a bad guy after all. They stayed a couple of hours and I played outside with the kids and we had a good time. My wife was determined to go to our Church Saturday night for a deacon ordination service for the husband of one of her good friends. I told her she was really not able to go, but we did go. The service was from 6 p.m to 8 p.m. and by the time I got her home her foot was throbbing. See there. Now we know why the program was entitled “Father Knows Best”.

I was up early on Sunday morning to prepare for the day. I left her breakfast prepared for when she got up and then I went early to the Church to unlock and get everything ready for the day. I also talked to my mom and told her what had happened Saturday night. She said, “Well bless the little darling’s heart, I was afraid she would over do it”. My response: “She’s too much like you because she will not listen to a cotton pickin thing!” My wife thought she might be able to come to one of the services but she never really felt like it so after finishing up I hurried home, fixed her some lunch, and we watched the next iron chef America competitions on television until the NASCAR race came on. Soon it was time to return to the Church for choir at 4:30 p.m. I called her later to find out where my guy finished and sadly it was too far back. Jeff Gordon’s drive for five may now be next to impossible as he lost serious ground to his protégé, Jimmie Johnson. Alas, the disappointments in life!
Okay, after finishing Bible study, then it was home where we watched the finals of the next iron chef America competition where the fellow I picked to win it all, lost. The fellow I chose was a Louisiana guy who was excellent in all the dishes he prepared. The fellow who won was weird, so I guess weird is in and I finished the day not only losing the NASCAR outcome I wanted, but suffering the insult of my choice not becoming the next American iron chef. Some days are filled with trial and tragedy. But I was in bed after that and up before 4 a.m., and able to get up and go, therefore, we thank God for all His blessings and we thank everyone who prays for and thinks about us. Have a great rest of the week! ….More later.

No comments: