Friday, November 9, 2007

Maybe This Will Turn Your Friday Frown Into A Small Smile!

Okay, I know I said the health stuff was going to be put in the background but you know what, there’s just too much there not to find a good laugh or two. Here’s an example. I’ve spent some time reading a number of the diabetic websites. There are literally hundreds of them out on the web. For the most part they do agree on which foods are right, that is, except for their glaring contradictions. Take for instance the situation involving Cheerios, which I like. Are they good for you or not? To hear them talked about on television you could start eating them and after a few days you might even be able to cancel that scheduled heart surgery you thought you needed. But, while it is good for you in general it may not necessarily be good for those on a diabetic diet because of its GLYCEMIC loading factor.

I love that, the Glycemic loading factor. I now have to calculate not only calories, not only fat, not only carbohydrates, but also the Glycemic loading factor. When I read about this loading factor it reminded me of the joke about the mother who returned home and found the baby in great need of a diaper change. She asked her husband why he had not changed the baby especially since the diaper was nearly full. He said he had read the package and it was good up to thirty-five pounds.
But I digress. I was reading this one website and it said that if you had been particularly good that day you could reward yourself with five Wheat Thins. What? You have to be kidding! This has to be the ultimate put down comedic insult. Here’s how it goes. If you have worked your tail off to weigh every bite, calculate every number correctly, and your blood sugar reflects this dedicated effort, then by all means, step up to the awards table and enjoy the results from your well-earned accomplishment. “Here you are sir, due to the fact that you have persevered to arrive at this point, we now recognize your achievement by bestowing upon you this worthy award: FIVE WHEAT THINS!”
Now I don’t know about rewards in this category because I’m very new at this game. However, where I come from a reward system that I could love would be like the five days of Christmas song:
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me one bowl full of homemade ice cream.

On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me two smothered pork chops and a bowl full of homemade ice cream.


On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me three helpings of spaghetti and meat sauce, two smothered pork chops, and a bowl full of homemade ice cream.


On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me four strips of thick-sliced bacon, three helpings of spaghetti and meat sauce, two smothered pork chops, and a bowl full of homemade ice cream.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me FIVE GOLDEN FRIED CHICKEN LEGS - - - - - four strips of thick-sliced bacon, three helpings of spaghetti and meat sauce, two smothered pork chops, and a bowl full of homemade ice cream.
You have my permission to fill in the rest of the verses with some of your favorites.
Okay, enough already. I think you get the idea. I was actually getting along quite nicely until I came to the bit about the Wheat Thins. As I previously blogged, you might as well laugh as cry. And as always, it’s all in fun and I know there are those who most likely have to be extremely careful about what they eat. In no way would I ever make fun of them but this is my journey and my blog, and my situation, so I choose to enjoy it as best I can.

By the way, say a prayer for my dear wife today. She’s having some minor foot surgery today but it does require that she be put under, so that’s always a little bit scary. It’s intended to fix a nerve inflammation problem which has been giving her trouble for some time. Maybe I’m not the only one with warranty issues on body parts! Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend. ….More later.

No comments: