Wednesday, September 30, 2026

" Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day." ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr., 1940-2021, Best Selling American Author

Good morning and welcome. We’re beginning to put dates on our Christmas calendar for our appearances as Santa and Mrs. Claus. It’s starting to feel like Christmas to us, even on this last day of September—the 30th—in the year of our Lord, 2026. This will be my 17th year as Santa and Mrs. Claus’s 16th year. Convincing her to join me was one of the best decisions I ever made. She has a heartfelt love for people of all ages. I’ll admit it has stung a time or two when she couldn’t be with me, and a little tyke announced that they had come to see her. Ouch! But I understand why. At present, she is still recovering from a recent surgical procedure. I’m praying she will be completely healed and ready to go by the end of October. We’re always amused when people ask whether we’re a couple or just two independent Christmas performers. We laugh and tell them our story: We started dating when she was 15, and I was 16. Two years later, we married. She was 17, and I was 18. I’m now 80, and she’s 79, so you do the math! Sometimes I think I wear the suit, but she keeps the Christmas spirit going. That’s no small thing when you’re 'The Santa Claus'. Ha! Countless times, a frightened child has found comfort in Mrs. Claus’s arms long enough for the family to capture a photo. After all, that’s usually why the parents come. I also recognize the dads and moms too, who have worked all day and would rather be home in their recliners. I understand. When the temperature inside 'the suit' soars above 95 degrees, wearing it is no tiptoe through the tulips! Still, at the end of the day, we love bringing joy to families—especially to children from age 1 to 100+. Amen.

 

I know. The Nat King Cole classic “The Christmas Song” speaks of “kids from one to ninety-two.” But with around 108,000 Americans now aged 100 or older, I thought I’d expand the coverage, so to speak. As Santa, I’ve had my picture taken with many older folks, though I couldn’t tell you the age of the oldest person to sit on my knee. The photo above shows my mom with me as Santa when she was 88 years young. She was blessed with five more years before leaving this life for her heavenly home at age 93. I’ve also been privileged to take photos with many children with special needs. We could all learn something from their open, loving hearts. They brim with genuine joy. Now for a confession: I enjoy a good laugh and love being happy, but I don’t walk around smiling all the time. In fact—and I’m a little ashamed to admit this—I have to practice smiling for several weeks before our Santa appearances begin. Is that sad, or what? You’ve probably heard a preacher say, “If you have any happiness at all, let your face know it.” Ha! Don’t get me wrong. I do smile. But I tend to be serious, and my face often shows it. My wife has told me throughout our years together that I’m too serious-minded. And let me tell you, she is very serious when she says it! You know what I mean, right, Vern? I’ll close with this: If you’re feeling down, put on some Christmas songs and think about the true meaning of Christmas. Without Christ, there would be no Christmas; and without Christmas, there would be no Santa. Ho, ho, ho—and Amen, too!

No comments: