Thursday, September 10, 2026

"I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God as long as I exist." ~ Psalm 104:33 as rendered by the New English Translation, NET.

Good morning and welcome. Today is Thursday, September 10, 2026, and I do hope today's visit finds you and yours doing well. When I was a kid growing up in a small village in Louisiana, I noticed how many men didn't join in singing during our song time at our local Church service. The song leader was an exception. The pastor sang along. A few others here and there, but it was as if singing was delegated to the ladies and the children. One exception was my grandfather, Paw Paw Mac. He literally could not sing a lick, but he would join in enthusiastically. On certain songs about going home to heaven, he would have tears in his eyes as he swayed to the music and looked up at the ceiling. Maybe he helped form in me a love of singing songs that sought to honor our Lord. Again, he didn't know one note from another, but he knew the Savior he so often sang about. Many of the deacons seemed too spiritual to participate. Ha! Others may have had good reason; I'm not sure. But I'm thankful for the influence, as I observed my granddad in how he never followed the crowd; he just did his best to follow the Lord he loved. How funny is that? I learned to worship the Lord in song from a man who knew very little about the art of singing. I married a gal who came from a musical family. They were lovers of Gospel music, and in so many ways they were much better at it than I was. Life is better when you are able to sing about it. The greatest songbook is found in the Bible: the Psalms. God enjoys hearing heartfelt singing from those who love Him. In fact, He inhabits the praises of His people, and those are often expressed with music and singing. While I now find myself often struggling with hitting the right notes, I am reminded of that precious old man swaying as he sang, eyes heavenward, "I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds my hand." Amen.

 


I wonder sometimes why it is so easy to find fault with those in our past, since we now know so much and we feel superior even in the way we go about music and church services. Those back then just didn't get it, or so it is often said. They were too much of this, that, and the other to adapt to what we are able to experience today. Really? I know many of the blind spots and other things in the lives of my folks from my growing-up days way back when. I do. I really do. At the same time, I am forever grateful that God loved them, saved them, and they, with all of their backward ways, loved Him back and served Him the best way they knew how. We often think about Hebrews Chapter 11 and how God chose to recognize people we call heroes of faith. I challenge anyone to examine the lives of those mentioned in that chapter. Nearly all of them were recorded along with their faults, and some had major failures in their lives. Yet, God was happy to have known them, and He walked with them. He gets the final say, and while we may look down on some who aren't as 'with it' as we are, God might just include them ahead of us. Wow! A little food for thought. What's that? Very little. Okay. Take it in and see if it resonates. It did for me. It did. It really did. Until next time, may God add His blessings. Amen.

No comments: