Yesterday, I suppose all these things were whirling around in that pea-sized brain of mine because I awoke at 3:30 a.m., and while I wanted to go back to sleep, I felt an intense need to call out to God. I thought about my own need for God's presence in every part of my life. I typically repeat the model prayer in my time of seeking God: "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen (From the instruction of Jesus, Matthew 6:9-13.) Yes. I am aware the last sentence, called the doxology, is typically not found in the best manuscripts, but I pray it because I think it honors God, for it is His Kingdom, and He does have ultimate power, and He does deserve all the glory forever and ever. Amen. Just me. After praying this as the beginning, I go on to share my burdens and seek His help on behalf of myself and others. Is what I do the right way to do it? I would never say that. It is a way, and it's my way. I do know this. God wants us to be real. Genuine. You can't hide anything from Him. If you can't think of anything to pray about, you have my permission to pray for me because I know the old song has it right: "It's me, it's me, it's me, Oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer." Have a blessed day, and don't forget to remember to thank God for it. Amen.
Thursday, September 24, 2026
2nd Corinthians 5:8 ~ Smith's Literal Translation ~ "And we are confident, and are contented rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home in the Lord."
We made it to Thursday, September 23, 2026, and I, for one, am thankful that I did. Why? It gives me another day to strive to fulfill God's purpose for my life. A dear brother in our local assembly, whom I sing with in our choir, experienced a tragedy two days ago. He showed up for the morning session of our Bible Conference, but his wife was not feeling well, so she stayed home. When he returned home, he was shocked to find that she had left this life for her true home in heaven. And what a shock it was! She too had sung in our choir the evening before. We know where she is now because of Scripture's promise; however, he and so many others are grieving the passing of this dear saint of God. See what I mean? We just never know what will happen on any given day in this life. We don't know. We really don't. At the same time, we do know who knows all things, and He is always there for us. Many years ago, six others and I were in a commuter van headed into downtown Houston for another day at our workplaces. A young man lost control of his car and veered into our lane, and we experienced a head-on collision that killed that young driver. We in the van all survived with some injuries, but it was an unexpected tragedy as we went about our daily routine. The van driver and I were co-workers for many years, and as fellow believers in Christ, we stood on the side of the road and embraced each other because we knew we had been spared. Am I trying to be melodramatic? Not even close. I can still recall seeing that very handsome young man leaning back in the seat of his car. He looked like he was sleeping, but he had left this life for the next. I know I often mention my age, but I ask you, having reached 80: How could I not? Live long enough, and you will appreciate the change in perspective that comes with becoming a member of the 4% Club. If I am going to get anything done while I am still among the living, I best be getting on with it. And if you have important things to get done, especially as it relates to your relationship with God and others, you might best get on with it because we never know what a day might bring. Can you say Amen? I can: Amen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment