Good morning and welcome to another day here at the ole blogger ranch. This one comes to us sponsored by today, Tuesday, September 15, 2026. And as the great Dr. Seuss observed, "How did it get so late so soon?" There was a time when I dreamed of becoming a major league baseball player. That was a dream I used to have when I slept with my Al Kaline glove held against my chest as a young teen. I was a really good player. I could pitch hard; however, it was not always clear where the ball might go. I could play third base or the outfield. I worked hard at it. But there came a day when I realized my limitations. I remember being selected to try out for the regional all-star team. Another fellow from our little village and I were selected. Someone, perhaps our coach, drove us to Alexandria, Louisiana, to practice with the other fellows who were also trying out. It was obvious the city guys looked down on us hicks. They did. They really did. Perhaps with good reason. The city teams had bigger athletes than we did. Many of them were good. Some of them were really good. They tested us on speed, agility, and our ability to hit and make plays. At that time, I didn't know the analogy about being a big fish in a little pond but only a small fish in a huge lake, but I learned it that day. I was really good in my small realm. I was not so good in the larger context. Needless to say, I didn't make the regional team. That experience taught me some lessons in life. No matter how good you might be at something, there is likely someone better. In fact, there just might be quite a few people better than you. That dream evaporated, but it didn't end my story. God allowed me to have other abilities, and He provided me with the environment where I grew to direct the work and activities of more than 150 employees in the computing and telecommunications field, as a department head for a Fortune 500 company. I no longer have my original Al Kaline glove, but I do have a baseball signed by him. It reminds me of how one dream might end, but God always has something better in mind. He does. He really does.
I could say much more about God's working in my life, but as my wife often says, "I think you've said enough." Ha. The joke about how one would have taken better care of themselves had they known they were going to live this long- well, that has some application to how I see things. I suppose since there was no indication of longevity on the male side of my predecessors, I had pretty much thought I would be gone by now. That's not a joke. It's the truth. It really is. That reality makes me feel very blessed to know that while I might be in overtime or perhaps even playing for sudden death, God has more for me to do. Some in the unbelieving world think that those of us who see our existence in the hands of our God, they see it as a cop out or a crutch to help us make sense of our lives. I can understand why they might see it that way. The key is unbelief versus faith. Faith. Belief. Confidence. Hope. I am guilty of all of those being in Almighty God. When He's done with me, I will go to be with Him, and that's what He has promised. (2nd Corinthians 5:8) My prayer is that, in some way, in the time I have left, I will find myself doing what pleases Him. Y'all are welcome to share the same desire. Go for it. Amen.



No comments:
Post a Comment