Wednesday, June 24, 2020

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily." ~ Zig Ziglar

Hello again, and welcome to another reality check coming to you from my world to yours. Today's visit encompasses the day we have before us, Wednesday, June 24, 2020. I accompanied the wife to a doctor's visit yesterday morning. That was our first time to be back at the medical facility together since the big shutdown. We went through the screening checkpoint where they ask Covid-related questions and they used one of those instruments to check our temperatures. Once we cleared that, we were allowed to go to the reception area. They did have the chairs spaced out. The wife was there to see her orthopedic about a continuing shoulder issue. She got checked in and they soon called her back. I sat out in the waiting area and fiddled with my phone while I observed the goings-on around me. A couple came in and they had to be somewhere near our same age. It didn't take long to find out she was hard of hearing. The lady would tell the clerk something but when the clerk responded the man shouted what she had said back to his wife and to the rest of their audience. We all had our masks on. The hard of hearing lady told the clerk the mask made her hearing problem worse. She said it was something about it impacting her facial muscles. Sounded odd to me. When they sat down he continued to talk to her in a loud voice. I suppose this was their norm. I found out quite a lot about this couple including how he had three shirts exactly like the orange-colored shirt the fellow near them was wearing. Yep. That would be yours truly. Suddenly, they made me a part of their program. I thought you might want to know how things are going in the waiting room world.

We also enjoyed a visit from our granddaughter Stefani and her daughter, our great-grand, Bella. The little ones do love playing with their living plush toy, Mr. Bentley. And, did they ever play! I ended up calling it Bella and Bentley's playdate. Bella is about 18 months and so is Mr. Bentley. They had a good time together. I am very impressed with Mr. Bentley's ability to allow children to treat him pretty roughly but he never retaliates. It was so good for us to spend time with these two. Sadly, we've done far fewer family visits since COVID invaded our world. When it came time to help Bella into her car seat she was ready for a ride and a nap. Not long after, I spotted our Mr. Bentley laid out on the recliner with the wife and he was snoring up a storm. 

Mr. Bentley, "You can stick a fork in me because I'm done!"
I did wake up this morning to a steady hard rain. The flash flood warning from yesterday seems to have arrived. No mowing today. We might need a hay baler when we can mow again. Or, if it is too high, I might just get out on the road and flag down one of the dozens of the lawn mowing trucks that go forth and back each day. I know exactly what some of you are thinking. Wasn't I just lamenting over the brownout on the yard because of needing rain? Yep. That would be me. In all fairness, given the throwdown sample of what a drought might look like, I'll take the rain along with what comes with it. Oh yeah, I don't really have a choice, do I? This past Sunday, the wife and I made the decision to participate in our Church services via streaming onto our large TV screen. I had previously attended all the in-person services but with the increase in virus exposure and the continued lack of restraint in making contact during worship, well, it just seemed like a prudent thing to do. However, we both felt a little tinge of guilt because we knew many of our brothers and sisters were there. Our Governor has said this week that if people do not do a better job of helping to contain the spread, he fears we will have to go back to a more restricted approach. Decisions, decisions, they are the fabric of life. May God lead, guide, and direct us all as we try to continue our journey here. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: