Thursday, June 4, 2020

“Cheer the bull, or cheer the bear; cheer both, and you will be trampled and eaten.” ― Robert Jordan

I did make it to our Thursday gathering and we begin this session by recognizing today, June 4, 2020. In thinking about how the stuff you read gets onto the electronic page I dug up this nugget of information: "In general, the left hemisphere controls speech, comprehension, arithmetic, and writing. The right hemisphere controls creativity, spatial ability, artistic, and musical skills. The left hemisphere is dominant in hand use and language in about 92% of people." That's the opening info from the article on brain function in Wikipedia and it caused me to think that I am now more understanding of what is meant when we say he doesn't know his right hand from his left. This might be why my writing at times is active even though the place where thoughts are generated is either on vacation or taking a nap. Maybe the connecting road from one to the other is out of commission. I believe the long-held theory about men versus women being dominated by one side or the other has been pretty much debunked. When I was working at the VA Hospital in the mid-1960s, a surgeon told me that an x-ray of the brain of a stroke patient looked a lot like an earthquake had happened. I'm pretty sure I was shaken a few times growing up. That's pretty much frowned on today, but, back then, it was considered appropriate if mom didn't have the time or the room to beat the living daylights out of you. I have no way of knowing how many times I might have been dropped when I was a baby. After all, I did have three precocious older siblings, so, do the math. No. I am not looking for sympathy here. Just thinking out loud, although, am I really? That would require the right side to be on speaking terms with the left and I can't be sure of that. Okay. Whether it is writing without direction or in cooperation, it does reflect My View From Here. Thank you very much.

I appreciate the feedback I get from time to time. My eldest son and I went forth and back several times on Tuesday regarding my information about the pandemic and how it impacts older people. His inclination after all the confusing stuff has flown here, there, and everywhere regarding the numbers relating to Covid-19 is that one might need to take them with a grain of salt. My thoughts were along the line of it being an indicator or trend that should be taken into consideration. We have family that attended a Church that opened early, only to have one of the top ministers die from Covid and later found several more of the staff confirmed to have the virus. This happened two weeks ago. This created many issues for the congregation who had contact with these contaminated staff members. Not the least being the workplaces of their employment being very cautious about their potential exposure. This was not based on any national statistics. It was firsthand information that unfolded before their very eyes. Having experienced this development, they then had to make decisions on how they would respond. The statistical information provided by the CDC may be flawed. However, it is what we have available and my thinking is it needs to be a part of the decision making for folks, especially those who are the most at-risk. At the end of it, everyone must make their own decisions using the best information available to them along with a whole lot of common sense and prayer. Not necessarily in that order. Amen

Someone told me the other day they felt sad because so many of their school friends were passing from this life to the next. They were reflecting on their age and how time seems to be getting away from them. I can appreciate that. But, here's something that hit me. This individual is over 20 years younger than I am. He was just now beginning to notice something that has become a regular part of my daily life. That is, reading about the life and times of those who have at one time or another been a part of my life. He gets his from social media and I typically see most of those I read in the online editions of newspapers. I see folks from my growing up days and it is a good source of recalling our times spent together. I also can Google the companies I've worked for and search for any recent obituaries since the company is often mentioned in the obituary. I recently landed on one that was a surprise. It was a fellow I had worked with for fifteen years and we had often shared projects and a lot of lunches together. He had retired and moved back to his home state of Louisiana. Some of the stuff I have written over the years were about things that happened to us as coworkers. We both left the company back in the 1990s. We never corresponded, but, I am thankful for the recollection of our time spent together. Now you know why I check out the obits. And, there you were, thinking I might be just a wee bit inclined towards being morbid. Death. It's a reality for us all. The ultimate word on the subject, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:..." (Hebrews 9:27) Amen. .....More later.

No comments: