Tuesday, June 23, 2020

"Young men, trust God, and make the future bright with blessing. Old men, trust God, and magnify him for all the mercies of the past." ~ Charles Spurgeon

Good morning and welcome. We will be working on and dealing with everything associated with today, Tuesday, June 23, 2020. We enjoy parched peanuts but a parched lawn this early in the summer, not so much. I heard one of the local weather people say he had really hoped for no rain on Sunday for Father's Day. Really? We've been pouring out water on ours already so much so the lid cover of the meter is rattling. (Exaggeration Alert.) And yet, the grass next to the asphalt road is already a yellowish-brown. Yes. I am aware there are bigger problems in the world and even in our world than trying to keep the grass green. We are thankful we did receive a brief late afternoon shower this past Sunday. And, we did receive just short of a gully washer yesterday, praise the Lord! We do not typically obsess over the weather predictions. I know that is a stereotype of older folks, but, we do pay attention when we are looking for a shower or two. Yes. I am aware of how the Houston forecast covers a huge geographic area and one segment may be inundated while others may get very little. What I am saying is we need some rain, if for no other reason than to give the water meter a time out, and this forecast looks promising. You may remember Jesus talking about weather predicting. Matthew 16: 1)Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven. 2) He answered and said to them, “When it is evening you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red’; 3) and in the morning, ‘It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times. 4) A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed.

Last Saturday, June 20, our eldest, Chris, and his wife, Sherrie, celebrated their 34th wedding anniversary. We are thankful for them and glad they were able to celebrate by taking a trip to the Grand Canyon. While this milestone is an opportunity for thanking God, it also points to the wife and me becoming high mileage vehicles. Happy Anniversary and may God continue to bless. Amen. Our love, mom, and dad.

I did have a tremendous Father's Day. I received a lot of greetings and while we couldn't gather everyone together during 'these days', the wife did all she could to make my day very special. We watched our Sunday School lesson at 7 a.m. on the feed from our local Church. The wife then made me a big breakfast. Beef sausage, grits, eggs, and homemade biscuits, ice-cold orange juice, and as always, hot, black, strong Community Coffee. Here's how I handled this situation. I busted open one of those cat head biscuits, put butter in it, and then crammed one of those beef sausages in. (People would still actually go to I-HOP if they knew how to cook breakfast like my wife.) We then watched the live stream of our worship service. About mid-afternoon, the wife began her intense effort to prepare me a special meal. She worked very hard for over 2 hours. Here is my posting from Facebook, along with the photo above: "Eat at any restaurant you like, I'll take the wife's home cooking every time. Father's Day Menu: Smothered steak and gravy on mashed potatoes; fresh okra fried with fresh field peas; fried green tomatoes; baked fresh corn on the cobb; fresh sliced tomatoes; pepper sauce and made from scratch cornbread, and a tall glass of iced tea. Apple pie for later. Note to self: Do not check blood sugar in the morning. Huge thank you to my bride of 55 plus years." It sounds like I'm boasting but the truth is I feel blessed and I do thank God. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: