Friday, June 5, 2020

“I read the last paragraph of my favorite book. I remind myself that some things I love end. And that’s okay.” — Ari Eastman

Good morning and welcome. It is time to think about whatever springs forth and that's what I am up to on this Friday, June 5, 2020. I started out on this blogging journey some 13 years ago. There are days when I feel very sure I have overstayed my welcome. I thought about throwing in the towel at 2,000, then 2500, and 3000, yet, I continue, and if the Lord provides I will reach 3500 in the not too distant future. One of the things I think about are the folks who enjoyed reading my blogs who are now in their eternal home. I remember my mom telling me that dad rarely ever laughed but she could get a smile from him when she read something she thought was funny from my blog. Some have reported they read them with their morning coffee. I have mentioned before I have new stuff but it is inaccessible to me in its present form. That information would reflect upon the first seven years of my sojourn here on the planet. I have never been able, except for brief tidbits which I have written about, to scale that wall to get to the other side. I am well aware that continuing to do this every day has been beneficial to my own functioning. It does at least get the gray cells out for a walk each day. I believe the so-called experts tell us that it is very important to our well being. At any rate, I do think about overstaying my welcome. More often as time goes by. For now, everyone should just carry on with whatever you were doing.

Thirteen years ago I wrote six paragraphs on this very date. Think I am wordy now. Think again, Bucko! Here's the introductory thought:

TUESDAY, JUNE 5, 2007

Looking for Laughs in All the Wrong Places!

I’m going to confess something that may shock some of you. I find the state of regular television programming so absolutely void of entertainment value, I’ve resorted to watching televangelists and presidential debates in order to enjoy a good laugh. Some might think the first to be offensive or sacrilegious and the second may be less than patriotic. However, I will attempt to explain why these forms of presentation strike me as being humorous even while I recognize them to be deadly serious. This void in having anything to watch happened to be more so with my wife out of town because if we watch TV together, you can be sure it will the Game Show Network, which is her most favorite, and I watch it with her because the Bible teaches I am to love my wife even as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for the Church. I sure hope there are special points for giving yourself up as it relates to watching black and white reruns of “I’ve Got A Secret”!

That was then, this is now. Let me assure you, I do still enjoy writing these daily chapters. It not only gives me something to do but, the process itself does me good as I remember the situations I write about. It was pretty late in the game before I caught on to just how pitiful my widowed mom and us six kids were. I've heard people talking about being poor and growing up poor and always knowing they were poor. It was never pointed out to me how pitiful we were, therefore, I grew up thinking we were pretty much just like everyone else. I never caught on to the fact we received highly discounted lunches at school because of our financial situation. The ladies in the food line treated me like I was a prince who needed to be fed and taken care of. I know that sounds silly but that conspiracy of sorts to not single us out was a very remarkable influence on my life. And, that helped contribute to the person I am today, the one you know who has it all together, all together, all together. I don't think saying this it several more times will make it a reality but my point is how something like folks treating me the way they did can have a huge impact. Oh well, enough for today, and for this workweek. We are, Lord providing, going to the 10:30 a.m. service at our local fellowship this upcoming Sunday. We've been going to the 8;30 a.m. so this will give us an opportunity to see other of our beloved brothers and sisters in Christ. May God add His blessings to each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: