Friday, May 11, 2018

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." ~ Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)

Today is Friday, May 11, 2018. On Sunday we anticipate celebrating another day set aside to recognize and honor mothers. Sunday is the 13th and that marks the one year anniversary of my dearest mother's homegoing. Five years ago, I wrote the following tribute and published it in one of my blogs. I thought it was appropriate to share it again. ~ I am sitting here thinking about all the special moms that have had such a huge impact on my life. The annual day where we honor moms in a special way is coming up on Sunday. The photo reflects the obvious. My dear mother. Her mom, Granny Mac. My wife. Her mom, Mom Rawles. These ladies literally influenced and shaped my life and are in many ways responsible for who I am today. The word profound comes to mind because that's the level and extent of these moms along with their impact on my life. All of these ladies reflect special talents and abilities. They were and are known for their devotion to their family. But, perhaps the most telling distinction I can think of is their shared common belief in God and their efforts to live, with His help, the life of a Godly woman. Mom Rawles was a pastor's wife for most of her adult life. She was a simple woman of faith and I learned to love her dearly. Granny Mac helped raise us kids and she never quit quoting the Scriptures to us up until her final days here on the earth. My mom sacrificed for us kids, took us to Church, worked outside and inside our home, and today she remains committed to the study of God's Word. Lastly, my wife, she is beloved by all, and the boys and I along with their wives, children, grandchildren, and the great grand, all can rise up in thanking God for who she is and all that she does for each of us. Thank God for mothers who show us the way. Amen.~

The other day when I was back at our home place in Louisiana, I felt differently. There are still many memories that permeate the surroundings of that old house and the property. However, it's not the same anymore. Granny and Paw Paw Mac are gone. Mom and dad are gone. They are not lost because we know where they are, but, they are no longer there. I walked out to the back shed and looked around at the field where we planted so many vegetable gardens. What a lovely place. What a life God allowed me to be a part of. And, it is because of the people He placed in my life. I was glad to be at the home place again but I don't have a need to go there anymore. Soon, it will belong to my niece and she can do with it as she chooses. Over the years we closed a number of chapters and now the book is finished. Like I say, I will always cherish the memories made in that place. Some folks may feel blessed because of the inheritance left to them. I feel blessed because of the continuing presence of the influence and caring that came my way through these folks who not only changed my life but, they did help to make me who I am today. I may go back there again. We are still working on the sale of the house and property. But, if not, I'm okay with that. May God bless the memory and legacy of those who once lived in those two homesteads, my grandparents, and my parents. Amen.

The eaglets born back in December may have also left their home place. And, even their mom and dad may be looking for new nesting grounds. Maybe the old home place doesn't have the attraction that it once had. These eagles have been seen by more than 125 million people who have kept up with them online since the littles were born last December. Maybe they all decided to take a vacation. They do live fairly close to Disneyworld. Or, maybe, it was time to move on. None of them have been spotted for the past several days. (Mom and dad Eagle may have decided it was best to abandon the old home place where their offspring would know the fish that used to be brought there would no longer be available.) Scholars believe the man endowed with wisdom from above, Solomon, is the one God chose to pen the words in the writing of Ecclesiastes, where he made this sober observation, "To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:..."(Chapter 3, Verse 1, NKJV) I know there is a pull inside where we try and hang on, to preserve that which we had, from yesterday. But, it is the here and now that gives us the opportunity to invest our time, talent, and effort. Hopefully, in a way that pleases God. This would be engaging in activities that reflect what Jesus described should be the motivating factors in the pursuit of life. Here is how the words of Jesus are rendered in the New American Standard Bible (NASB), from Luke 10:27, "And he answered, 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'" That's one we could start and end with each day. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Happy Mothers Day to all the moms who read my blog and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: